electric fan or stock style fan

jacob

im trying to decide electric fan or stock fan. i heard that whith an electric fan you can keep the engine at operating tempature but then theres the wiring does that just run off the battery or do you have to run some wires to somthing? or should i just put the fan and cluth on with the shroud?

Running electric fans you will need to wire relays and make sure your alternator is up for the extra amperage draw. You can wire in a thermostat switch that will cut the fans on/off at a predetermined temp. You can also wire it so the fans come on when you turn on the a/c.

Call me simple, but I stuck with the stock cooling style system. Sans the radiator (aluminum) and a Stewart Stage II water pump I run the stock shroud and fan that has a hayden fan clutch. Even in the S/GA heat the engine temp never gets above 190 whether at idle, stop and go traffic, cruising down the road or making passes at the track.

David

I have a stock style fan with clutch and have thought about eventually going to electric but I would want to keep the stock look. For now I'd just focus on getting the major stuff restored so sticking with stock is easier and cheaper. Once the car is looking and running good, that's when I would look at other projects to make it even better. Electric is more efficient, no question, but it can be costly and it is not one of those projects you absolutely need to decide on when the car is torn down.

Food for thought

If you go electric, make sure you chose the biggest fan you can find. The fan from a Lincoln Mark VIII is very popular.

Yes, it will need quite a bit of wiring with Heavy Duty Relays, that fan can pull 100 Amps for short times when it kicks on full... Check my Gallery for pictures of the fan...

On a stock or even slightly modded engine, I would stay with the stock clutch fan...

So going clutch fan is preferrable to a non clutch fan? I have the aluminum spacer between the water pump and fan so its directly mounted. My car was a 2bbl no A/C 350 car.

Sadly the 'deal' I got when in Carlisle last time on a clutch fan turns out its too large a diameter for the shroud. Didnt have the measurement so could not be sure.

The cars cooled fine from the factory, and unless its a heavily modded engine, theres no need to stray from that. My 350 never gets anywhere near the dreaded overheat, and Ive been caught in some traffic in 100+ degrees quite a few times. The only thing that overheats is the driver lol

well from what it sounds like the electric fan is more efficent but the stock stuffs not bad just wanted to ask are the wires labeld for like a plug n play thing ?

I have a Monte SS with a stock 454. I have no issues cooling with the factory setup, even while running the AC on hot days. I have noticed it runs even cooler after adding the FGMCC radiator cover that fills the void between the grill and radiator support. I believe it creates a more direct airflow thru the radiator, making the radiator more efficient. Although I have the factory gauges, it has dropped 1 line from where it used to run without the cover, approximately 190'F to 180'F and the AC is blowing colder. I have not recharged the AC since installing the cover.

So going clutch fan is preferrable to a non clutch fan? I have the aluminum spacer between the water pump and fan so its directly mounted. My car was a 2bbl no A/C 350 car.

Sadly the 'deal' I got when in Carlisle last time on a clutch fan turns out its too large a diameter for the shroud. Didnt have the measurement so could not be sure.

As far as I remember, you can still buy the correct clutch for the fan in any auto parts store...

well from what it sounds like the electric fan is more efficent but the stock stuffs not bad just wanted to ask are the wires labeld for like a plug n play thing ?

I have yet to see a plug n play electric fan... smile

Does it cool the motor well?

Stock: yes

Electric: yes

Is it low cost?

Electric: no

Is it real easy to install?

Electric: no

Is it trouble free?

Electric: maybe

Just my opinion

Dan

I got a thermal clutch form Summit Racing and a new 18" fan at the same time. A friend gave a me a fan and clutch but it was 18 3/4" and was hitting the fan shroud. FLX-5718 was summits part number for the fan and FLX-5555 for the fan. Works great even after I got the air running before the trip to Hiawassee. Even on the hottest of days it was only running around 180 degrees and still does.

i heard of this stuff called red line antifreez aditive that can make the engine run cooler i cant remember if it was 20 degrees cooler or 20% cooler. any one used it or some thing like it? did it work or is it not worth even looking at just curious