replacing upper control arm bushing

Kane

Take the control arm off and have a shop press the bushings off and on. Well worth the cost! I did my own and will pay someone the next time. I did however sand blast and paint the arm when they were off. If you need to do the upper. the lowers are probably just as old.

If you insist on doing it yourself, take the whole control arm off the car. remove the nuts and washers from the crossbar, Drill the rubber out of the bushings, remove the crossbar, collapse the bushing housing with an air hammer or hammer and chisel. Clean up the control arm, press one of the bushings into place, install the cross bar, press the other bushing over the crossbar and into the control arm.

Replace the ball joint while youre there.

You can also cut the old ones out with a torch if you have one. Slice the inner steel bushing and drive it out then drive the rubber out then a couple quick slices on the outer steel part and drive them out. Be carefull and have a water hose handy because the rubber will flair up pretty good. Thats how we used to do it in the shop then press the new ones in. You can beat them in but thats a pain. But while you have them apart thats the time to clean them up and paint them.

Johnny, I'm not sure how extensive your front suspension rebuild project is, but here's a link to a photo journal I made when I replaced the bushings and ball joints on my '70 two years ago.

http://s912.photobucket.com/albums/ac329/dbengtson4/Front%20suspension%20rebuild/

Slides 34, 35, 36, 42 and 43 deal specifically with removing and replacing the bushings in the upper control arm. As Bruce has suggested, while you have it apart may as well do the ball joints unless you have already replaced them recently.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Dennis,

Great job! I wish I had it 22+ years ago when I did mine.

Thank You!

Bruce