quarters

jacob

i have rust damage to both right and left side quarter panels the lip that holds the rear wheel house trim is gone and the left side has extra holes for screws to hold the lower trim on. i was wondering if I should have them replaced or repaired?

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever you think is rusted, it's much MUCH worse. Let the person doing the cutting and welding check it out and see what they suggest. Good luck!

Bruce

Not 100% sure exactly what you are asking. If there is rot, you need to cut it out, if it is surface rust you can clean it up then you can use some rust paint so rust does not come back. If you are just trying to buy time until you get to fix it, soak those panels in corrosion control spray such as Rustcheck or Crown, but don't use paint directly over rust.

Good luck

Good rule of thumb..... if you find a 1" rust hole on a 40" piece of metal... remove 38" of good metal.....that last inch of good metal you left behind will rust away on you...

No such thing as removing all the rust.....

I know its not logical to replace everything....Seam sealers applied properly before paint is usually overlooked yet its critical for rust control. And when the body of the car is done spend the money on anti-corrosion materials (closed cell foams, wet films, dry films etc) its very expensive but works wonders. I will get you some part numbers.

Por-15, most undercoatings and everything thats easy to buy (kragen, home depot) are damaging to your car and is false confidence that your repairs are secure... they are not.

i have holes all around the wheel well and the lower parts are rusted bad enough to have holes big enough to stick yor finger tips thru so i thi9nk replacing the quarters would be a good idea. what kind of rust prevenative and other stuff should i use to make a lasting repair.

• 4 weeks later...

remove the factory quarter doing the least amount of damage as possible.... repair areas that are generally not reachable.... fit new quarter and weld in as factory as you can.... double and triple check gaps over and over again before welding.... and so on.....

This is what i do every day... dont rush it217.jpg Here is the car pre-fitted.... not one weld yet. 218.jpg

Jacob we use cut off wheels on a 4 1/2" grinder when doing sheet metal repair or when lengthen a hood. To make sure that we have both panels the same height we use whats called butt welding clamps as you can see laying on the hood in this picture hood003-3.jpg they give you the right amount of gap when butt welding panels together.

so just line up the new one where the old one was check the gap and weld it in place right theres no bracing or any thing like that right. does the quarter panel come with instructions?

Jacob, you need to get yourself some books on this if nothing else, the replacement of a quarter isnt something to take lightly, not saying you cant do it, but unless you have someone there who is good at welding, and knows how to weld a quarter on without warping the heck out of it, you could be opening a huge can of worms. Id hate to see you spend a bunch of money on parts and get in over your head once you cut the quarter off.

I will see if I can find some books or articles online for you to check out, maybe someone else here has some suggestions for you as far as good reading material on this subject

go get on youtube and look up videos on welding ini quarter panels..there are tons on videos on there..then you can see what it takes to do the job...might not find any videos of them doin a Monte but youi will find something to get a basic idea!!!