Updates for Carla...

Carla's King

So I made it :-D turned out the rattle was actually the transmission crossmember, the rubber brackets that hold it in place were worn out on the passenger side. Quick fix? Nuts and bolts, no bracket lol. Not the best of ways but temp fix to get our butt 3K+ miles over to FL...

So the journey was great, took her nice and slow(for the most part ;-) ) across the i-10 all the way with bon jovi and aerosmiths discography blaring through my sound system. And now that we're here and I'm starting work. There will be LOTS and LOTS of updates for her. I'm including a list of mods and upgrades as well as the problems I have with her now that needs addressing. If you guys could give me you input or opinions on parts or mods that would be good. I'd love to hear them (note I refuse to take her to a shop, this is MY car and refuse to leave her beautiful body in anyone else's hands. And being that I'm not entirely strapped for cash does not mean I want to go broke :-P so mid range pricing is what I'm looking at)

So that being said here are her problems at the moment.

Suspension nearly shot all around. Sway bar bushings, shocks, struts springs etc, if it holds her up its basically gone. All of its original so no suspension mods have been done.

Brakes are going out up front, and the emergency brakes are non-existent.

Gearbox on my car is going out for the steering. I have about 4inchs of play even after adjustments.

Rear end is non posi and driving her in the rain is a very very scary thing.

Interior is essentially gone, from the trim panels, to the head liner. Most is falling apart, some is salvageable but would rather replace.

Roof needs SERIOUS tlc, and resupport, sitting on the roof in the center will leave you on my bench seats.

My plans are primarily aesthetics, but some are functional.

The car is meant to be original outside aside from the spare tire system, and front quater panel side mirrors and paint.

Trimming, gone, body, smooth. No handles locks, etc. Trunk, hood, and doors will all be opened electronically.

Pulling the spare tire idea from a lincoln with a twist. The cars theme is scary, and dark. Perfect candidate? Freddy Krueger.

Car will be painted flat black with blood red gloss finished racing stripes. Within the stripes (smoked) airbrushed images of freddy krueger and his blades will be painted. And on the back end right above the bumper the words "Don't Sleep On Me." Will be painted on in a gruesome, bloody, cursive font.

The front grille will be modified, as well as the spare tire spot, that I will be designing. Windows tinted 20% fronts 5% backs, a LED light mechanism will be installed on the auxilary section of my remote to electronically activate lights that will glare out the windows (for referance of what I mean watch the green hornet, the part where kato turns on the green lights in the black beauty windshield.

The goal for the car is a mix between street (donk minus the ridiculous 26inch rims) and strip (torq thrust 16's with big fat bf goodrich white letters)

Under the hood:

The same bored and stroked 350, with slight modifications.

Twin turbo set up, 1000 cfm carb, 2 stage nitrous, activated by a switch under the throttle pedal, full press = 500 hp shot.

I intend on putting new forged pistons, internals cam, and etc.

My dreams and epectations for this car may be high, but u got to dream big when it comes to your dream car.

I will post mock ups of my car and my intentions as soon as my artist is finished resketching my initial drawings. But when I set my mind to something, I follow through with it.

Other misc upgrades/mods,

Side view and back up cameras, 4 sets of of T1 fosgate component speakers, 2 15inch fosgate T1 subwoofers, 40inch flatscreen tv on the trunk, with 1 set of fosgate components, replace front grille and headlights with 70 chevelle SS headlights and grille. As well as 70 chevelle interior all black.

I know some of you will not see or understand my vision for the car, and some of you will. But I want my car to be recognized and respected by drag racers and modders alike. With the twin turbo system and etc I'm expecting the car to be pushing close to 1250 hp w/o nos.

If you guys can link me to any interior sites, or sites that I could find the headlights (the whole headlight fixture mount, trims, and etc) and grille, that would be greatly appreciated. As well as any recommendations on suspension, to increase my handling and reduce body roll which honestly right now, sucks.

All of your input is greatly appreciate and I look forward to hearing back from you guys.

-Carla's King

I am going to keep this simple regarding suspension mods. Many of the tubular arms out there simply shorten the upper control arm to increase geometry benefits. There are only slight benefits gained. Without me writing a book I am simply going to tell you to call Mark @ Sevitskes Classic & Customs. He wrote the book that was published last year on "How to Make Your Muscle Car Handle". He has forgottoen more (doubtful) regarding suspension information than most will ever know. He also is aware of and a dealer for almost every suspension product on the market. He will walk you through the plus's and minuses of each and give you the best option for your current budget.

Here is the link: Sevitskys Classic & Custom

Great guy and loves to educate people regarding suspension.

Dan

I am going to keep this simple regarding suspension mods. Many of the tubular arms out there simply shorten the upper control arm to increase geometry benefits. There are only slight benefits gained. Without me writing a book I am simply going to tell you to call Mark @ Sevitskes Classic & Customs. He wrote the book that was published last year on "How to Make Your Muscle Car Handle". He has forgottoen more (doubtful) regarding suspension information than most will ever know. He also is aware of and a dealer for almost every suspension product on the market. He will walk you through the plus's and minuses of each and give you the best option for your current budget.

Here is the link: Sevitskes Classic & Custom

Great guy and loves to educate people regarding suspension.

Dan

If you plan to make that hp you will need an aftermarket block, expensive internals ie billet crank, billet rods, custom forged pistons, some serious cylinder heads along with ti valves, springs, custom cam, solid roller lifters, shaft rocker arm system, custom intake, custom carb, a dedicated fuel system running race fuel for the nitrous and a controller for the nitrous. You will also need custom fabed exhaust headers and system. As for the turbos you will need custom mounts, air to air intercooler, bov's and then comes all the plumbing for the cold and hot side for the turbos. Then a controller so you can trim the boost for sreet/race and a big dollar fuel system just for the engine alone.

Not saying it can't be done but it is going to cost some serious scratch. Then comes the rest of the drivetrain, trans/ converter, rear, suspension etc..

1250 hp just on engine is a tall order, especially with a s/b and you are going to have to run some serious boost.

Good luck with your build,

David

Thanks for the input dbreese. Most of the fuel system fabrication can be done by me if the jobs aren't too difficult.

I know that its going to be a challenge getting the car the way I want it, but would a dedicated fuel system be necessary? And also, I don't plan on running her on race fuel. By 1250 horsepower I don't mean 1250 at base. From my understanding each lb of boost equates to approximately 10% of hp increase. Meaning running a 500 hp base block at 30lbs (x2 15lbs) would increase the horsepower at shifting points to approx 1500hp.

Now I could be wrong, as I have been before, but that is my understanding of turbos.

The basic idea behind the drag/street combo is essentially a car that when she needs to go fast, she can go fast, but aside from that she's just a looker. I know forged internals is a requiste, and will be talking to my uncle (el loco) who drives a small block camaro out here in florida about the parts ill be needing specifically.

I know right now I need to drop the compression on my motor because its sitting at 10.5 to 1 and for turbo applications its supposed to be around 9 to 1.

The turbo starter kit I intend on getting is something just to start with. I want to build the engine to where I need it to be and over the next few years begin upgrading the turbo system, intercooler, and etc I also want to change the transmission to a 5 speed. Because, again, from my understanding... Boost is applied after you shift the engine. So it seems like having more gears would equal more overall lbs of boost from 1st gear to final.

Please correct me if any of my information is misconstruded or incorrect

I understand that 1250 hp was not base but peak. That being said it is going to take the some of all(expensive) parts to reach your goal especially using a s/b 23 degree head platform. Running that much spray I would highly suggest running a dedicated fuel system for the nitrous side with race gas especially with that much boost. That is going to be a bunch of cylinder pressure and you don't want detonation.

Just throwing out suggestions. I'm far from being an engine guru but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. smile Good luck and have fun with your build.

David

So if I opted for a smaller boost of spray do you think I could get away with not having a dedicated fuel system? Maybe running a 250 shot instead of a 500? I assumed that since I have to rebuild the carb (change floats etc) for the pressure of the turbos, I would also have to rebuild the motor with stronger, forged internals. How strong is the actual question thay I'm trying to determine. Thank you for your response

Here is a link to a 1025 hp engine by nelson racing engines 1025 hp 406 Look at the list of parts that they needed to get there.

I admire your goals but they are going to be tough with a blow through carb and no electronic controls. Add spray and I see a bunch of melted parts. I really don't see guys running those two power adders together.

Hey mike, thanks for the input. What would you recommend for a car in the ball park of 8-10 seconds on the 1/4 mile. I don't expect to be running high 7's low 8's like my uncles camaro. But knowing I have a 9secondish car would do the trick.

I'm going to see if I can get all the specs on my motor now, she's strong and quick. Made it 3000 miles with only needing an extra quart of oil, some water, and a half of tube of quick steel on the gas tank after hitting a bump :-P (btw I drove her for 60 hrs straight to florida no rest)

She's got enough power to lift the front end an inch or two off the ground if done right, I have not raced her at a track or gotten her timed. But I intend on doing so soon. Its only 20$ to run your car at the track down here, and I think she's pulling 12s-14s.

Any upgrades that I could do now, to increase hp and tq but still make use for later with the turbos?

Well, Dave is running 9s in his '67 Chevelle (which I presume is lighter than your Monte) and all it took was a 760+hp 509ci engine. wink

He sells a kit to build one (you just have to add your intake, carb, and oil pan) for a little under $10k. smile

As I type this I'm building my shelter to protect me from the Itty-bitty-Engine Brigade(e.g. Small block owners), but I don't see how you could conceivably (let alone safely) get the kind of HP you're talking about, let alone withstand the boost/nos you're planning, with a warmed over 350. I just don't think the block itself can take that much abuse.

Well, Dave is running 9s in his '67 Chevelle (which I presume is lighter than your Monte) and all it took was a 760+hp 509ci engine. wink

He sells a kit to build one (you just have to add your intake, carb, and oil pan) for a little under $10k. smile

As I type this I'm building my shelter to protect me from the Itty-bitty-Engine Brigade(e.g. Small block owners), but I don't see how you could conceivably (let alone safely) get the kind of HP you're talking about, let alone withstand the boost/nos you're planning, with a warmed over 350. I just don't think the block itself can take that much abuse.

Small block HATER!!!!!! J/K rofl

David

small block, big block yada yada. most if built correctly with quality parts will make great power and last. for what you want to do is not impossible, it's just how deep is your pocket?

a friend of mine is running 8.60 in the quarter mile with a twin turbo 3.8 Grand National. then he turns the boost down and drive it home from the track. 110 miles each way. so it can be done.

just my 2cents

thanh

Dbreese I think he is a small block hater, and I love those people who doubt sbc's lol. I was just at the race track a few weeks ago and saw a man running a stroked 350 lifting the front end of his stock body chevelle with a little over 700hp. All things are possible now with the technology we have for engines. The race the chevelle was in was vs a bbc camaro. Should have seen the look on his face when his 20,000$ 454 got beat out by a small block 350 :-P

When it comes to power there's no questioning a tiny engine with half the weight and the same amount of hp.

In all honesty I just want a fast car that can do wheel stands (I know, every teenagers dream :-P)

I'm taking carla to the track after I fix the breaks and do an oil change and fuel treatment to see where my starting point is. I think she's around 12 seconds, but only one way to tell.

Once I have a good starting number ill more so know where to start with my upgrades and improvements.

First and foremost I know a posi rear end will give me at minimum an extra second on the quater mile, 2 wheels spinning = way more grip, way more grip = a lot faster take off, faster take off = overall faster time.

She has a column shifter, would u recommend manually shifting her or letting the automatic trans do the work? I've always manually shifted her during races but what do u think would yield better results?

Ya know I was joking about the hater part. We like to pick at each other but it is all in good fun. Ain't no haters on this board that I know of and I been a member here for 10+ years.

As far as the performance of your car I don't know much about your current build but if it is stock or a really mild( engine,rear gear and converter.....12 seconds is gonna be hard to break into especially if you don't have a p-track and sticky tires. I know for a fact the track can humble you real quick. laugh

Good luck,

David

an interesting and ambitious build for sure, keep us posted...one thing to keep in mind...with that much power you will never see 1/4 potential with "handling" suspension so keep your expectations in check. If you realize your power goal you will simply blow the tires off at will with that setup. Using both turbo's and NOS is way over kill unless you just want the two technologies for show. As other's have noted intereacting both turbo's and NOS requires exceptional knowledge and exceptional parts, it will need on open checkbook mentality. Power is one thing, managing it is another.....good luck with it... cool

The easiest and safest way to use nitrous on a boosted car is to use it to cool your intercooler...just my opinion... wink

Just keep in mind if you want a 9 second Monte You will have to have a certified chassis to run at most tracks, and a competition license.

The engine combo is your choice. Come up with a plan and work through it to make it happen.

@dbreese, I don't know the logistics of my engine except for a few things. Its bored and stroked (don't know to what size) I have a larger camshaft, 10.5:1 compression, and she's pretty quick right now.

I raced a close friend of mines 2010 bmw m3 and beat him by half a bumper. Which isn't much but that car is definitely fast.

The reason for my want of speed for the car is I'm a planner. I like to plan things in my life at least the basics of it.

Carla is a big big part of my life. I sold my 70 chevelle when I was 15. I have a bad history, gangs, drugs, violence etc. And was stuck in a predicament so I sold her. She was an amazing car. I bought her for 5grand from a billionaire at a race track when he wheelied the car for the 7th time that night and the trans fell out the bottom shocked I asked if hed take 5grand for it, he asked if I had it on me I said yea and he asked where I wanted it towed.

The chevelle got about half a mile to the gallon, had a stroked 454 and way too much power for me to realize the potential of at that time. But all in all I needed 10 grand, and sold her to pay for the restamping of a guns vin number. Two stupid things I did that I regretted for the rest of my life. Till I might carla that is.

She was like a wild horse that I broke in the wild and now she is mine and no one elses. When my mom and I got into it, and I jumped into carlas seat threw her in reverse, even though the carb was in great need of a cleaning and rebuild she didn't hick up once, she took off, burning the tires and filling my whole block up with smoke.

Some don't understand the relationship I have with my car, but when I'm upset she cheers me up. When I cry she cries with me. And when I'm happy we celebrate together.

And even with her ugly appearance it reminds me that everyone has potential to reach heights even they didn't think they could reach. But sorry for digressing so much.

@mike and davey, is there anyway to build the baby version of my ambitions? Something with 2 small turbos, a small shot of nitrous, and a strong engine? I've read a lot about nelson racing engines, and I think that when I do her frame off restoration, that will be the person I call to do the engine and trans build for me, there are just too many variables that I can but really don't want to, try and calculate.

Also has anyone tried a 700.r4 or 4L60/80 swap with our cars? Like I said before which now I assume is correct cause no one corrected me in regards to it. Turbos push out boost during shifts correct? So having 4 or 5 gears seems like it would give me the most amount of boost per 1st to last gear.

@502 that may be so, if I knew what an intercooler was *face palm* sorry, I know, still a lot to learn. But at least I have a lot of you great firstgenmc gentlemen (possibly women?) Here to help teach this 21 year old youngster a thing or two. And I'm eager to learn.

Carla King,If your looking for twin turbo sbc's look no further than Nelson Racing Engines.They have quite the youtube videos on there builds.I don't know pricing but you could get some good info. as for parts going into the build.I like the big smallblocks myself,383,406,421,427,434,454(yes in a sb).Dart "m" block to start for sure.torque is what it will take to move our montes.hp to match torque curve will be your ticket.will be looking forward for the build on our boards,and Welcome to the Club!!

Thanks for the welcome 420. And I have checked out nelsons racing engines. And there prices surely match their quality. 40k for the basic models, the twin turbo chevelle they did cost almost 350k... For her rebuild(5-10 years from now) I intend on dropping a mean 454 sb and pushing her to about 2000 hp, or in other words. A 7 second car. I also intend on getting the front end and hood of a chevelle and extending them to fit our monte bodies. As well as replacing the rear end (minus bumper and trunk of my car with one off yet another 70 chevelle. Not to mention the mandatory convertible top :-P

The monte carlo is beautiful in the sense that its the perfect size muscle car. We have the most hood room of any other 70s muscle car, and a strong enough body to back it up. But my personal preference of chevelles makes me want to fabricate the perfect (for me personally) muscle car, which is a 70 monte and 70 chevelle, fused as 1.

So all in all, she will undergo two builds, this current one, pushing approximately 800-1000 hp, and mostly fiberglass body work. And a second with double the hp and all metal workings.

Thanks for the welcome 420. And I have checked out nelsons racing engines. And there prices surely match their quality. 40k for the basic models, the twin turbo chevelle they did cost almost 350k... For her rebuild(5-10 years from now) I intend on dropping a mean 454 sb and pushing her to about 2000 hp, or in other words. A 7 second car. I also intend on getting the front end and hood of a chevelle and extending them to fit our monte bodies. As well as replacing the rear end (minus bumper and trunk of my car with one off yet another 70 chevelle. Not to mention the mandatory convertible top :-P

The monte carlo is beautiful in the sense that its the perfect size muscle car. We have the most hood room of any other 70s muscle car, and a strong enough body to back it up. But my personal preference of chevelles makes me want to fabricate the perfect (for me personally) muscle car, which is a 70 monte and 70 chevelle, fused as 1.

So all in all, she will undergo two builds, this current one, pushing approximately 800-1000 hp, and mostly fiberglass body work. And a second with double the hp and all metal workings.

This is a street car is north of 2000 hp. Well sorted out suspension and meets NHRA safety requirements. Larry is a five time winner of the unlimited class for Drag Week. I have seen this car run in person. It is very BAD.

He runs a Mike Moran twin turbo B/B. Doesn't even run true slicks. MT/ET Streets.

David