fuel sending unit replacement

Kane

Step 1 drain fuel tank

step 2 place a jack with a piece of wood under the fuel tank putting pressure on the tank, undo the grounding wire for sending unit

step 3 unbolt the fuel tank straps

step 4 lower fuel tank pushing the jack forward to get the filler neck out unplug sender power wire

step 5 remove lock ring and pull sender out

step 6 install new sender and reconnect the power wire

step 7 raise fuel tank back up and secure fuel tank straps and reconnect the ground

step 8 refill gas tank

Have the gas tank as empty as you can. Remove fuel tank vent lines (if your car has them) and fuel line. Remove ground wire bolt. Unbolt fuel tank straps lower tank. Remove power wire from sending unit. Use a screw driver and a hammer to remove retaining ring lift sending unit out of tank.

Originally Posted By: LEGHOME
The easiest way I have found is hire mechanic to do it. No fuss, no mess and no ^&%$*( words used.

Hey wait! Us mechanics still use the ^&%$*( words. lol

As per my wife...that's another reason why I'm restoring an old car just to practice my ^&%$* words! laugh

Peice of cake i've done mine 3 times and used 4 sending units and the guage still dont work, im begining to think theres something else wrong but the dash unit checks out fine. I'll change that when I redo the dash. But its really not a real hard job unless the stuff is real rusty.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the unit on my 71 Monte last September as it was fun and quite easy - one important step that I missed was to connect the new fuel sending unit to the wires and move up/down the floater to make sure it's sending to gauge properly (if not, it could be unit, gauge or wiring that need to be looked at). To my luck, the new unit is working as it should after putting tank back in place smile