Muscle Cars, Circa 1970

David Mau

Bob Hansen's post titled "Factory 0-60 times" last week in the General Forum got me to thinking as to how the Monte Carlo compared with other vehicles of similar size/engine combinations, so I did a bit of research.

Most of the times that I have quoted are listed in the June 1981 Consumer Guide publication, "Muscle Cars", which I purchased when I was still a senior in high school - over 21 years ago! They are compiled from magazines that originally tested the cars when the cars themselves were new.

Most magazines concurred that musclecars were great straight-line performers, but throwing them into a curve was a different story. By '70, however, GM had upgraded its high-performance suspensions with beefier front anti-sway bars and added rear anti-sway bars as well. Therefore, the Chevelle SS models and the Monte Carlo SS454 were considered by automotive writers of the day to be "true GT" cars.

Consumer Guide's "Muscle Cars" said the following about the Monte Carlo: "Chevrolet's personal-luxury Monte Carlo was born at its performance peak. And although you might not think so, it got into the muscle-car act... Surprisingly, Monte Carlo became an extremely popular choice for stock-car racing. Short-track racers had discovered early that its engine sat further back in the chassis relative to overall length, making for more even front/rear weight distribution than in the shorter Chevelle. Even though it left something to be desired in aerodynamics on the big tracks, Monte Carlo was nearly unbeatable on the shorter ones, and brought Chevrolet's victory total up from nowhere."

Motor Trend tested the all-new '70 Monte Carlo SS454 in their December, 1969 issue, and pitted it against the '70 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ with a 455, and a Ford Thunderbird with a 429, I believe it was. They stated that "the new Monte Carlo is an unqualified success in every respect". I can't seem to find my copy of that article at this time, so if anyone knows what the Grand Prix ran, please feel free to add to the list!

Because automotive testers, test conditions, rear-end gear ratios and other factors all varied, these results for each model could have easily varied from what is shown, too. Also keep in mind that all of these numbers were arrived at on factory equipment bias-ply 70 series tires at best! I'm sure that all of these times could be reduced further by running today's wider, stickier tires which would allow the cars better traction.

Here are some times from original 1969-70 road tests:

1970 Buick GS-455: 455/360hp. 0-60 in 5.5 sec. 1/4 mi.@13.4.

1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS396: 402/350hp. 0-60 in 8.1 sec. 1/4 mi.@15.5.

1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS454: 454/450hp. 0-60 in 6.0 sec. 1/4 mi.@13.8.

1970 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS454: 454/360hp. 0-60 in 7.0 sec. 1/4 mi.@14.9.

1970 Dodge Charger R/T: 440/375hp. 0-60 in 7.2 sec. 1/4 mi.@14.7.

1970 Ford Torino Cobra: 429/370hp. 0-60 in 6 sec. 1/4 mi.@14.5.

1970 Oldsmobile 442 W-30: 455/370hp. 0-60 in 5.7 sec. 1/4 mi.@14.4.

1970 Plymouth Roadrunner: 440/390hp. 0-60 in 6.6 sec. 1/4 mi.@14.1.

1970 Pontiac GTO: 455/360hp. 0-60 in 6.6 sec. 1/4 mi.@14.8.

Dave

[This message has been edited by David Mau (edited 08-15-2002).]

Hey Dave,

That is one very interesting piece!!!

Ben

------------------

Remember: Your car isn't LOUD enough, until it rattles the china in your neighbors' china cabinets!!!

Best Regards,

Ben

http://thenunz69.tripod.com/

Buick Stage 1 wins AGAIN! Boy that makes the LS-6 Chevelle guys MAD. They just do not want to hear that a damn Buick will out run their holly grail Chevelle.

As the Buick guys say "Go fast with Class"!

All kidding aside, a 70 Stage 1 Buick is on fast ride stock and really fast modified. There are some 4,000 lb Stage 1 Buicks in high 8's, low 9's.

The Buick guys aren't to much on the looks but WAY big on the fast.

Try V8buicks.com for more Buick information.

Mike Strinich

1970 Buick Stage 1 Convertible

------------------

Mike Strinich

Nashville, Tennessee

72 Monte Carlo Convertible

Dave - 1969 Motor Trend times;

monte 1/4 mile 14.9 92.0 mph,0-60 7.0, 0-75 10.2gprix 1/4 mile 15.5 88.0 mph,0-60 7.8, 0-75 11.4

tbird 1/4 mile 16.9 84.6 mph,0-60 9.0, 0-75 13.5

Top speed went to the monte @118mph, also passing speed from 50-70mph, monte wins again @4.1 sec.

Thanks, guys!

BEN - I figured that SOMEBODY would find it interesting!

MIKE - Personally, I think that the '70 Buick GS cars are really cool. You've got a really nice pair of convertibles there!

JIM - Thanks for posting those other Motor Trend test times. I remembered that the Monte was the fastest, but I just couldn't remember the times of the Grand Prix. The Grand Prix was just a little bigger than the Monte, as it had a 118" wheelbase at the time compared to the Monte Carlo's 116". I think that the '70 Thunderbird, however, would have squared off better against a '70 Riviera and a '70 Toronado.

Dave

i guess the SS454 chevelle went up in tire smoke...its showing a .5 sec slower than the Buick to 60 and in the 1/4 .1cid and 90HP more .some things just make ya say ..hmmmmmmmm. HP aint everything if you cant put it on the ground.

[This message has been edited by Grease (edited 08-16-2002).]

The HP numbers were just numbers. Different firms and divisions within firms measured HP differently. The marketing boys could/did advertise any HP number they wanted to. I suspect the Buick GS is 100 lbs more than the Chevelle. Back then, a 1/4 mile time under 15 seconds was a fast car. Ed

------------------

'71 Black 406/700R4

'71 Sandalwood SS454

'71 under construction LS1/4L60E

The 70 chevelle LS-6 had the highest "horsepower rating" of any engine ever installed in a production car at 450 horsepower. The torque rating was 460 lbs/ft torque. The Chevelle LS-6 had solid lifters, big cam, Holley carb, aluminum intake, different heads big valves with square ports, 4 bolt mains etc.

The 70 Stage 1 Gran Sport Buick has the highest "torque rating" of any engine ever installed in a production car at "510" lbs/ft of torque. The horsepower rating was 370 Horsepower. The only difference between the regular Buick 455 and the Stage 1 was bigger valves (same heads), larger Quadraject carburator, bigger cam. The block, rods, pistons and CAST IRON intake manifold were the same.

Amazing how much engineering/engine work Chevrolet had to do to run slower than a slightly modified Buick.

Traction is certainly an issue however both the Chevelle and Gran Sport have the same rear end configuration as far as mounting points and design. Torque MUST be the key??? Buy the way, the 70 GS Buick used a "big" 10 bolt rearend. The Chevelle used a "special" code 12 bolt. The only 12 bolts in 70 Buicks were the few Gran Sports that were made in Canada.

------------------

Mike Strinich

Nashville, Tennessee

1970 Buick Stage 1 Gran Sport Convertible

[This message has been edited by mjs-13 (edited 08-17-2002).]

Mike,

Is the '70 454/450hp LS-6 really only rated at 450 lbs/ft of torque? I have always seen the '70 454/360 LS-5, used in the "standard" Chevelle SS454s and Monte Carlo SS454s rated at 500 lbs/ft!

As I mentioned in what I wrote above, test drivers themselves, test conditions, rear-end gear ratios and other factors can affect the times that the cars ran. To REALLY match them up fairly they would have to be tested with the same driver, at the same track during the same weather conditions and temperature, with similar options, similar transmissions, same rear-end gear ratios, and same type of tires of a similar size. That's the thing; there are SO many variables! Sure, the Buick GS was the fastest according to the test times that are listed, but who actually tested each of them, and what rear-end gear ratio did each test car have? What transmission? What...?

I'm not saying that the Buick GS wasn't, in fact, the fastest. I'm just saying that we don't know all the variables that came into play here that led to the test results shown in the times stated above. Each of them were fast cars, and the test result times shown could easily vary depending on a lot of factors.

No matter how you slice it, though, the Monte Carlo SS454 is right there in the mix with other well-known, well-promoted muscle cars of the day, and that was my initial point with this post. Now, when you factor in the Monte's better weight distribution (due to its engine positioning in the chassis) than every other car listed and the fact that it was built to be a "premium" car, its star shines even a little brighter.

Dave

[This message has been edited by David Mau (edited 08-20-2002).]

In about the last issue of Muscle Car Review (bought out by Hot Rod), a hemi Dodge beat a Chevelle (LS6?) by a hair. Both cars were a "little" modified. In recent, two I think, annual muscle car shoot outs at the pure stock drags (GA/MI) a Buick 455 won. Nevertheless, the 1st Gens SS454s surprised all but the true believers. Ed

------------------

'71 Black 406/700R4

'71 Sandalwood SS454

'71 in process Super Dark Green/346 LS1/4L60E

[This message has been edited by ejw71 (edited 08-20-2002).]

Dave,

Sure there are lots of variables as you stated. The Buicks were available with a 3.42 rear gear in the automatic and 3.64 in the 4 speed. Those were the ONLY choices and this was based on transmission type ordered. By the way, the four speed was an M-21. The M-22 was not available per the order sheets.

The automatic cars are the most quoted in old car tests. Again, probably torque and the higher gear help. Most LS-6's have 3.70-4.10's in the 12 bolt.

We will never know, if we did there would not be much to talk about on the internet.

It is interesting that the Buicks have won many of the pure stock drags.

I still like my Chevy's however I have not seen near the enthusiasm in Chevy clubs for drag racing as there is in the Buick club. Looks do not make much difference to the Buick guys but go go does.

If you are ever in Bowling Green Ky. in May, go to the Gran Sport Nationals at Beech Bend Park/Dragway. The racing is something else. Not a bunch of professionals, but hard core enthusiasts. It is worth the trip just to be a spectator.

Have a great day.

------------------

Mike Strinich

Nashville, Tennessee

Mike,

I would love to attend the Gran Sport Nationals in Bowling Green, if I'm ever down that way. Personally, I think that most of the Gran Sports are every bit as good looking as a Chevelle. I have a certain fondness for all of the GM cars from the muscle-car era (especially the mid-size A-bodied cousins), and I'm pleased that one of their products, the Buick GS, often comes out on top in the drags! I have always liked the early Rivieras, too.

My first car was a '70 Cutlass Supreme with the Rocket 350, 310hp 4bbl high-compression engine. That was the same engine that Olds used in the Sebring Yellow Rallye 350s (sort of a junior 442) and the W-31 optioned Cutlasses. It was a plenty "healthy" car for a teenager, too! I always planned on keeping my first car, but a guy broadsided me on the drivers' side with his pickup truck, which trashed the Cutlass' front end and bent the frame and body. His insurance company totalled both it and his truck, so after that incident I looked for my second car. I was keeping an open mind as to what I was looking for, but I knew that it would most likely be an example of GM muscle. That was in late '85. After I found my '70 Monte Carlo SS454 for sale, I did some research about the model. I thought that it was a great and well-balanced combination of looks, style, comfort and performance. So, in early '86 I bought it!

Sure, I no longer have my first car. But I've still got my second one! If I was a rich guy, and could have a large garage with several classic cars in it, you can bet that a Buick GS would be in there, too. You've got good taste, Mike.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the kind comments.

I drove a 72 Monte Carlo 454 Custom in 1984-1985 as a daily driver. Lived in Texas. In process of moving back to Tennessee, I sold the car to a guy in NY. Wonder what happened to that #'s match car. It was gold with white vinyl top and light tan cloth bench interior.

Good rust free Texas car with nice paint and interior.

By the way, I see you live on the Northwest left coast. I am originally from Spokane!

------------------

Mike Strinich

Nashville, Tennessee

[This message has been edited by mjs-13 (edited 08-23-2002).]

That's interesting that you used to live in Spokane, Mike! I don't think that I've ever been to Spokane myself, but my mom has a cousin that lives in Davenport, which isn't all that far from Spokane - and I've been there. I lived my first four years in the Kent area (about half an hour south of Seattle), and then we moved to Olympia (about an hour and ten minutes south of Seattle) in '67. I officially moved to Seattle in the mid-'80s when I was attending art school here.

I also have a cousin that lives in Fort Worth, Texas, and another in Houston. My wife and I just saw them all when we were on vacation down there in June! I would love to visit in the south again some day.

Dave