speedo out of whack

pocobill7t1

You're either running a significantly UNDER-sized rear tire (over-sided would cause your actual/gps speed to be greater than your speedometer shows) OR your rear gear ratio has been changed to a higher numerical ratio and the speedometer gear has not been changed to it to match the engine rpm to final drive relationship.

What has changed from when it was built? You mention tires, what about rear axle ratio? Is the original trans still in the car? Many things can change in over 40 years. A simple gear change of the trans speedometer driven gear by two more teeth could fix it but knowing why it's off, to me, is important. Let the search begin!

Bruce

You should be able to correct your problem using this calculator/formula. If you get lucky you may only need to change one gear at speedo. There is a drive gear & a driven gear. You must know your rear end gear ratio for this to work properly. Then verify the gears at speedo drive in your trans tail stock housing.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/speedometer-gear-calculator/

good points all around, i am running 235 60 15's on all corners.when i am griving at 55 mph the tach says 2100 rpm's

Bill, here's a link to one of several tire size and height (diameter) charts: Tire Size and Height Chart

As you can see, your 235/60-15s are only 26.1" tall (diameter). Your Monte was very likely shipped with G78-15s which is close to a 205/75-15 tire that is27.11" tall and that is probably what your speedometer is set up for (in addition to the rear axle ratio your Monte was built with). With a full 1" of difference in tire diameter, each revolution of your tire covers 3.147" LESS distance (Circumference = Diameter X 3.14172) than an original Monte tire. That translates to a 9.6% underdriven error between your actual speed and what is showing on your speedometer. At 60 mph on your speedometer, you actual speed would be no more than 54 mph.

Many of us have the opposite problem. For example a 275/60-15 is 28" tall which translates into a 3.3% overdriven error between actual speed and speedometer readings (again, assuming factory speedometer gears and rear gear ratios. So we are always actually going faster than our speedometer shows - not good for avoiding speed traps. smile

Yes, 215/75R15 is the right size for G78-15s but it is a dang skinny tire. The chart I have lists the diameter for both of these at 27.7" and as mentioned yours is 26.1", quite a difference.

I use to have 275/60R15 (28.0") at the back and they seemed to be pretty accurate, my 225/70R15 (27.4") are a little off. If I had to get replacements I would get 235/70R15 (28.0").