Any Nitrous guys here?

jim's 70

So, one of the winter upgrades will be the fuel system. I will be going with an electric pump and all the goodies. My question is, running a 150 shot sniper system....whats the best way to set it up? I'm thinking pump to 2 port regulator. One line to the carb, the other to the solenoid. Been looking around, and see people running 2 regulators...deadhead regulator for nos and return regulator for the carb... single regulator split to carb and solenoid...deadhead for both...return style for both... confused ..soooooo many opinions out there...I'm sooo confused lol

Jim.

depends on which pump you get, you might be able to run the fuel and nitrous on 1 pump. we run 2 stages of 200shot with dead head regulators for the nos and return regulator for the carb and all on 1 pump.

nos fuel pressure between 5.5 to 6psi depending on the weather.

thanh

I agree with jim. Depends on what pump you go with. 150 isn't much and that stuff is addictive. If you EVER think there is a possibility you will go with more you should set it up ONCE and build it with the possibility of advancement. I have a MagnaFuel pump because they are very reliable, made for continuous use and have a built in by-pass. Use 2 regulators. I'm not a fan of dead heading the regulator because the pressure will climb. Put a valve in line so you can shut it off in case of emergency. (Has saved my butt on many occasions. Like when the solenoids get stuck on) Always keep pressure off the NOS solenoids by use of a purge. They shouldn't see pressure until right before you use it then purge it right back off after words. I do so after I pull the shoot. Will get a lot more use from the solenoids if you take care of em.

Well...the pump is still a decision to be made. I have been looking at the Magnaflow stuff, and I like the regulator they offer. According to the descriptions, it it dosen't allow as much of a pressure drop when the solenoid is activated. I was hoping to stay with the 3/8 feed line, but them more I look into it, the more it looks "boarderline" to be enough. I will probably never go bigger then the 150 shot since it is the numbers matching block and I don't want to push it too far. I am trying to err on the side of caution as well as not totally blow up the budget lol

Someday I will actually install my nitrous system...it has been sitting on a shelf for over 2 years now. I went with Edelbrock's 100-250 plate system. I have no intention of going beyond 150 but I like having a future option.

edl-70050_w.jpg

I originally set my car up for a supercharger (eventually I will do it) but the same fuel system can be used for nitrous...I went overkill on everything. I have an Aeromotive A1000 pump and a Aeromotive return style regulator. I planned on removing the fuel pressure gauge in the picture and relocating it and using the port for the nitrous line. Not much I can offer other than don't build a system borderline...always overbuild it... wink

I also have an Edlebrock nitrous controller that I have not even opened yet...another $500 part collecting dust... frown

img0422nc.jpg

I haven't heard that about the Magnaflow...interesting. I want to do this once, do it right and note have to play with it again....I know....wishful thinking lol

I know there are several good pumps out there. I like the magnaflow with the filter built in. I have and several of my racing buddies ( the ones that still run nitrous) run the magna flow 500 pump for 10 years now and to my knowledge only 1 has been rebuilt. As far as regulators go everyone including NOS gurus that build systems all swear by the regular holley 12-803 regulator. As a side note it isn't recommended using a pcv set up when using NOS. You don't EVER want to contaminate the incoming fuel and NOS with oil. CONVENTIONAL Oil burns and when hit with a highly combustible situation ( which is nitrous. A controlled explosion that hits the intake at -128 degrees ) the oil can act like a torch right through the piston. World renowned Engine guy Tony Bischoff owner of BES engine service told me that's exactly why he runs a GOOD synthetic like royal purple. When it does get by the rings and into the cylinder it won't burn.

I love NOS...

eek

I sure hope that is not a typical reaction time to a fire at the starting line!! Was the guy just trying to collect insurance?

Andy plays with that funny stuff

Who, me?

Got them lined up at the door right now so I'll be breif.

First, Davey is afraid of it.

Second, you can go as wild or mild on your fuel system as you want, but I am all about elegance and simplicity.

I run it on four of my cars and my basic recipe is a Holley Black, Holley regulator, -10 Pushlok to the reg, -10 to the carb, and -6 to the nitrous solenoid. One reg, just split the need. But I an a 250 shot max. More than that on a plate system and you really got to be spot on with the tune.

Always start as conservative as you can off the bat. Pull more timing than recomended by the manufacturer. Use a good non precious metal plug. Invest in a hobbs switch to automatically turn off the system below a pre set fuel pressure (usually 4 pounds).

It is a cheap kick in the pants if you do it right. Every motor I ever melted was due to laziness. Done right you will eventually invest in your own filling station (a 100 pounder is $93 here).

Come to the dark side Davey lol

Thanks for the input Andy, and everyone else. The most I'll be shooting is 150, just would rather be on the safer side. I know the "recommended" jetting is always a lil rich to safe, I've just thought myself in a circle worrying about the fuel supply lol