Disappearing Coolant

MGD72Monte

I'm used to coolant leaks when the engine is hot and the coolant expands creating pressure. Any ideas on troubleshooting what seems to be a static coolant leak occurring during storage over several months (basically the overflow tank was full, now it is empty?) No evidence of external leaking.

Thanks

Hey MG...... a couple of quick questions......

when the monte is running do you have white smoke coming out of the tail pipe..???

when you remove your rad cap do you see oil floating around in the rad fluid.???

Pull the dipstick and see if you have a Milkshake substance on your dipstick instead of straight oil.???

last but not least on the bottom of the oil filler cap is there the same milkshake build up there ????

All bad news if you do have any of that..

Darren.

when the monte is running do you have white smoke coming out of the tail pipe..???

when you remove your rad cap do you see oil floating around in the rad fluid.???

Pull the dipstick and see if you have a Milkshake substance on your dipstick instead of straight oil.???

last but not least on the bottom of the oil filler cap is there the same milkshake build up there ????

Darren.

Ah, yes ... the carmel mocha milkshake! Wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee whipped one of those up two years ago ... tasted awful and was horribly expensive!

If that much coolant leaked into the lubricating system while the engine was in storage, wouldn't it find its way to the lowest point of the oil pan and come out first when the plug was loosened? Just wondering if there is a way to check out your suspicion, Darren, without starting the engine?

Hey Dennis, yes correct. pulling the oil pan drain plug will allow the antifreeze/water to drain out first and then the oil will follow as well. if it's been sitting for a while you could pull some of the spark plugs and if your eyes are good shine a jight into the hole and see if you can see any rust on the cylinder wall above the piston if so that will let you know the head gasket should be suspect....it could be sucking water in through the intake manifold but then the car would have to run crappy as the lose of pressure from the leak will effect the idle.

Darren.

Expansion & contraction with variations in weather & temperture perhaps? confused

That was my first thought because I noticed it when it was really cold outside but this week has been much warmer, so I was expecting to come back up and it did not.

Originally Posted By: LS5

Darren.

I would have expected to see one or some of these symptoms the last time it was run as well as the sickly sweet smell that typically accompanies coolant leaks but nothing although the car has not been started since it was stored in Nov. I will definetly be looking for those in the Spring and am considering pulling oil the plug briefly to see if I get coolant instead of oil.

Originally Posted By: Sam (Bones)
don't forget....water evaporates too, even when mixed with anti-freeze, and the overflow tank isn't airtight

That would be a good outcome although I have never noticed this in past year when it has been stored.

Originally Posted By: First Knight
A radiator pressure tester should help determine what's going on. Hope it's not a cracked block or blown head gasket! Good luck with this.

I thought about this but the coolant disappeared over time with the engine not running and so with no pressure and it seemed to be fine when I was using the car regularly so I don't see how this will work for me.

Thanks a lot for the answers guys, I'll keep scratching my head on this one.

I'm going out on left field.. heater core LEAKING.. carpet stain not noticeable. Coolant turns into bladder acid,(lysergic acid diethylamide) and the car suddenly decides to go on trip of its own. crazy

With the rads being crossflows they normally run several inches below the filler. Could the antifreeze have been drawn back into the rad? Possible. I wouldn't worry too much until you get it out of storage and can check it out thoroughly.

My last shot at this.

Assuming you did not check the coolant level after you parked and it cooled down.

First - Maybe the coolant is getting pushed out the reservoir overflow tube when the engine warms up because of a bad radiator cap. A pressure test won't show this, because one has to remove the radiator cap to do the test! You can test a radiattor cap with a thermometer, a hotplate, and a Pyrex vessel. Simply hang the cap into the water, turn the hotplate on, and see what temperature the T-stat opens at.

Second - If your tranny is an automatic, check the fluid and inspect the dip stick for signs of moisture. May be leaking through the trans cooler?

Third - You are just messing with us --- Ha Ha!!

Thanks again guys, some interesting theories there, I will be checking those out but as per Scott, not worrying too much about it until I start her up in the Spring.

Rod, the heater core is a possibility I had though of, the dog I had not grin.

Rod, the heater core is a possibility I had though of, the dog I had not grin.

I swear I'm not kidding.. lol my other suggestion of the dripping heater core, will usually materialize into a huge stain right onto the carpet.

I believe you, I remember a vet once told me to keep antifreeze away from dogs as they like its sweet taste. Obviously not good for them eek. In my case I don't have one and if I did he would have to break into the garage and open the lid to the overflow tank.

I'll be keeping an eye out for evidence of a leak on the carpet. I was thinking of just pulling back the front part next to the firewall on the pax side but the way the car is parked I can't really get in on that side so it will have to wait until I pull her out in the spring. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hijacking this thread if no one mind? I am having same issue with antifreeze level decreasing inside the radiator as I do not have reservoir tank (yet), checked dipstick/oil filler cap did not show any milkshake foam. No sign of oil floating at top inside the radiator. Monte do have white smoke because its cold outside but white smoke goes away after warmed up.

I even checked interior for heat core leak but did not find any.

Any advice?

And of course making sure you have the right cap for a cooling recovery system vs a non..as well as the correct LBS cap. whistle And always a defective cap could be a culprit.. along with too little pressure of a cap.