Mig Welder - Advice

NewTimer

I just bought a Lincoln 125 from Lowes last night. Welds up to 1/4" steel, flux core or gas. $419

I went overboard, but wanted a brand name.

I have been on the edge of buying that one for a while now, I should just do it already... crazy

Their headquarters are here in Cleveland Ohio, I got to work on one of their additions several years ago and got to roam throughout their plant... grin

I just bought a Lincoln 125 from Lowes last night. Welds up to 1/4" steel, flux core or gas. $419

I went overboard, but wanted a brand name.

From the positive reviews, it looks like you made and excellent choice, Jared.

When I checked the Lowes site today, the $419 unit doesn't come with a gas line or regulator. However, they also offer the same model with the line and regulator for $524. Guess you could start with the flux-core base model and add gas capability only if you needed it. I need to give serious consideration to that model for my shop in MN. Please let us know how you like it.

I own the Hobart 140 Gas/Flux Core. I definitely prefer the the Gas mix for welding. I bought mine about 10 years ago from Tractor Supply. I paid around $430.

I also purchased a Hobart 140 from Tractor Supply. Got mine for less than $400 during a store grand opening sale. Worth the money.

Originally Posted By: bigtankjones
I own the Hobart 140 Gas/Flux Core. I definitely prefer the the Gas mix for welding. I bought mine about 10 years ago from Tractor Supply. I paid around $430.

I also purchased a Hobart 140 from Tractor Supply. Got mine for less than $400 during a store grand opening sale. Worth the money.

That Hobart is now $499 at our local Tractor Supply.

You can't go wrong with one of the top 3. Miller, Hobart and Lincoln. I got to use a Miller 211 when doing my Monte over and love the thing. Now I need to buy one. I blame my body shop guy. smile But that runs around $1000. DOH!

I'll have to buy the adapter, and get me a bottle. This will get me going, may stick to flux on some of the floor pans, I'll have mig ready to go for the body atleast if not before.

I do not like using Flux Core when I'm welding. I think it is to messy and does not produce a good weld. I just have a Hobart 140. I just switched my solid core welding wire over to a small diameter of .023 from .035. That makes a much better weld when welding panels I think. No blow through of metal. I use the .035 wire when making weld repairs to frames and uni-body structures.

I'll keep quite on the flux core vs mig. I have seen flux core burn just as good as mig and give a strong weld. On our 57 Nomad we welded in leaf spring pockets in the frame using a flux core setup and no issue with the weld. A good weld is base on how well the welder is setup. Each there own with what they like and don't like.

Flux core is just messy with the slag and use 023 wire on sheet metal.But I pefer tig all my sheet metal and leave mig for other but sometime tack with mig to hold patch the tig.like you said each to their own.