Coolant Leak

Xxyyzz

Just looking for some advice and tips before I tackle this job. I'm leaking coolant from in front of the passenger wheel.

Before I even start taking stuff off can anyone suggest places to look? Known failure points?

20130206_174011_zps102bb1f3.jpg (thats the front passenger wheel)

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Mark Gombos

Hey Mark, a couple of quick guesses...... Rad cap is shot.?? possibly not holding the poundage its rated for anymore and with little pressure its leaking by over on that side...

2..... rad is too full and its overflowing ? they are not suppose to be filled right to the top leave about 2 inches less filled

3 lower rad hose clamp isnt as tight as it should be and even not driven the sitting pressure will cause it to leak by... just a couple quick guesses buddy.....

Darren,

All above or a dog may have took a hike on your tire.

Probably one of those dogs that drinks radiator coolant ... just trying to put it back where he found it! grin

Mine only drank it once! as I understand it, it has a naturally sweet flavor, which makes the taste of engine coolant appealing to animals, mostly dogs and cats. They lap-up antifreeze off garage floors because of its sweet flavor. Poor JO-JO.. he went right into renal failure. frown

check the water pump. It could be following the lower hose down and dropping off where it meets the radiator

good check for sure! check radiator well for seam leaks.

OK fellas. So it is definitely coming from where the lower hose meets the radiator (not where hose meets water pump). I figure taking into consideration the age of the car I will just replace the lower hose and the radiator.

I would like a direct fit radiator. Any recommendations? There are so many different rows, thicknesses, cores. I usually use summit or autozone, but anything that you guys recommend I would consider.

The car used to have a/c but it didn't work so I pulled it. Can I/should I also pull the AC condenser while I'm in there?

-Mark

Hey Mark, American Eagle Radiator Company and Champion Radiators both are located in California and will save $$ on shipping for you unless they are close by and you can just pick up I don't Know ?? Both sell Rads on Ebaymotors as well in the $152-to $211 range for a 2 core or 3 core full aluminium Rad with 16lb cap included and are a direct drop in and use factory rubber supports as well as top rad plate and American Eagle even looks factory but aluminium. Living down in Cali there with the heat you may want to run a 3 core.... Hope that helps Mark...

Darren.

Sorry for a delay in response, my friend is visiting from out China (getting his masters over there!)

Anyways, the clamp couldn't be tightened so I will be going with the original plan of new rad+hose.

Thanks Darren I will look into American Eagle Radiator Company and Champion Radiators.

QUESTIONS:

What are the two metal hoses above the lower rad hose? Tranny/oil coolers or what? It seems the 3 rows are for 1000+ HP so kinda overkill for my stock setup. Ill probably stick with the 2row

-Mark

So here are my two options form Darren's suggestions what are your guys' opinion:

Monte Carlo (70-77) Radiator

EC161

EC161

Click to enlarge image(s)

Champion All Aluminum Radiator

2-Row Core

Cools 500hp

Radiator Dimensions:

Total: 18 ¼” (19” incl cap) Tall x 33” Wide

Core: 16 ¾” Tall x 28 ¼” Wide

Inlet: 1 ½” driver

Outlet: 1 9/16” pass

Tanks: 3” thick

Saddle Mount system

Transmission Cooler Included Radiator Cap Included

Aluminum Shroud is also Available (sold separately)

OR

Monte Carlo (70-77)

AE161

AE161

Click to enlarge image(s)

American Eagle All Aluminum Radiator

2-Row Core, 1" Tubes

850hp Rating

Core 16 ¾” Tall x 28 ¼” Wide

Total 18 ¼” (19” incl cap) Tall x 33” Wide

inlet 1 ½” driver side / outlet 1 9/16” pass side

Tanks 3” thick

Transmission Cooler Included

Radiator Cap Included

Saddle Mounted

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-380457/overview/

Sourced from Northern built in IA and a direct drop in. I have one and it keeps my engine cool despite the brutal S/GA summers. Car never gets above 185 even in traffic. Stock fan shroud, heavy duty fan clutch, stock fan and a Stewart Stage II pump with a 180 T-state.

If you are leaving your a/c in place you won't need to remove the condenser.

David

Heavy duty fan clutches are used on vehicles with a higher demand for airflow, ie Montes with deep shrouds and fans that are a ways back from the radiator. Once engaged H/D fan clutches turn the fan at a higher shaft speed than a light duty and most a/c equipped Montes s/b and b/b came with HD F/C. Hayden makes a nice HD unit.

David