what color???

Sam (Bones)

Hey Sam on my 70 chevelle the bellhousing was Orange and the sheild was Gloss black and still had the blue and white sticker on it from GM.... it was the 454- 4spd

(M21) car I had if that helps...???

Darren.

Yep it sure does Sam, even though the sheild was a replacement it was still GM and would be painted the same color as the original one. I could see if it was a jobber replacement part or even made in who knows where it would not ness be painted the right black either flat or semi or even black at all. But it was a GM piece therefore should be right,I think they use to say use Genuine GM parts right ?

Darren.

I just did some research on this for a friend of mines 69 4 speed Camaro (I know not a Monte, but GM) acording to the Camaro gurus the bellhousing was as cast but had so much over spray you would have thought they were meant to be orange. Not sure if this would hold true on our cars or not? altho another guy swears his Camaro is an untouched original with low miles and said it was all orange? I guess the thought was the bellhousing on the 4 speed cars were bolted to the engine prior to paint and it depended on who was painting that day.

I heard the same thing that Heff did. Supposedly the bell housing was mounted to the engine and they were sprayed as a unit. When it was installed it was a variable amount of over spray dependent on the painter. The dust shield/ inspection plate was black. Personally I'd just do the bell housing in natural aluminum and call it good.

Maybe it was a supplier thing? Mine is black and original to the car as far as I know. I'm second owner and have had it 36 years now.