Remote Mirror

Its Just Me

Could I get some suggestions as to where to get a "good" left hand, chrome remote mirror for my '71 SS? The one on my car appears to be a repro. I don't think it was ever correctly installed and now the cables are stretched and frayed. Everything is so loose, that the glass shakes terribly just driving down the road. Can I get just the glass and cables or do I need to get the chrome housing and mount also?

TIA

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

buyers beware. i have bought two remote mirrors from the parts place and ausley chevelle. The repo comes from the same maker. The repo is way off angle and i tried both gaslets they all sent me. Now i am on the search for a show quality mirror, or have my old one rechromed. Anyone on here know of some answer to that?

Right (passenger) side or Left (Drivers side) or both?

My right mirror was way off, couldn't roll up the window till I used the other gasket. Perhaps they gave you two of the same (wrong) gasket?

Bruce

Problem is the mount gasket for remote is different than nonremote and nobody make them.Bought one from Ausley but have not taken out of box as not finished painting car yet

yeah i bought one from parts place twice cause they we;re on back order for a year, they sent one gasket, then another open gasket, neither worked. i order from ausley both drivers and passenger side. i got the same problem with their mirrors. i took out my old remote mirror and the open gasket worked correct for old mirror. If someone knows where to buy a correct mirror right now, let me know. i know another member on here that had bought a drivers from ausley in the past and they worked fine. but whoever the maker is, they have the angle off. i took pictures of old and new and it clearly shows the angle way off on new mirrors, guess i have to rechrome my old mirror to get my car on the road. Kindof gave up on passenger side install until i find the correct angled one. shipping is starting to add up on this 4 times ordered.

PM sent to gprimm.

Can anyone answer my question about swapping the glass & cables into my existing chrome housing, or are they designed to not come apart?

Thanks

Scott

You have to bend tabs in housing to get cable and mirror out not a bad job.I bought 1 from Ausley and have not started putting that stuff on but I might take the org. one to get plated when I take my bumpers and headlight rings to get done in a couple months so I'll have it also

If you bought from ausley and mirror came in small white box. You might want to check the angle with out remote mirror if you have one. I just sent two back to ausley. Let me know how yours worked out, thanks

You can get the repo remote mirror to work with some messing around. #1 get a factory gasket from GM, the repo ones have the angle reversed. Now the stem angle will be correct but the glass housing angle will be wrong. You can take the mirror apart and using a Dremel tool or something similar, grind two of the 3 tabs off the inside of the stem. If I remember correctly it is the two outside tabs. The tab closest to the window will remain and stop the mirror housing from rotating on you. A real pain in *** but at least it can be done.

Yes the factory mirrors can be taken apart. Again not a fun job!!

Just pay real close attention to the colour codes on the three cables. You should have a Yellow, a Green and a clear marking, one on each of the cables and on the control. The cables are different lengths and go into the control in certain locations.

I just drew a little diagram as I was taking the cables off. It really helped me out when putting back together

the open gasket i got from the parts place with the mirror kit works fine with my old remote mirror, just not the new one.i will send my old mirror out and rechrome.If someone knows of a place that sells oem gaskets i would buy a few.