Trunk rod placement

footballubet

I am installing a power trunk release kit this weekend and need to know what position the trunk rods are so the lid will stay down when released. Right now mine will spring up and just about take your chin off if you aren't careful. Figured I would ask before crawling inside the trunk to fight the rods.

Thanks!

Scott,

The following photos show how mine is set up. The trunk lid opens nicely and all the way but does not do so with excessive force, IMO.

Driver's side:

PB250162.jpg

Passenger's side:

PB250161.jpg

I've not messed with these torsion springs but I have heard that they can be somewhat difficult to handle. I think clamping a vice grip firmly on the ends may be necessary to twist them into place regardless of the target position. Good luck.

BTW, how's the power trunk release installation going?

I haven't started it yet. Spent last Sunday at my daughter's college. I'm in the middle of painting 4 rooms in the house and have 1 more to start next week. And the garage has been too cold. We got 12" of snow today but the good news is it's melting away fairly quick. Calling for temps in the 50's over the weekend. I will be working in the garage then. I'll be doing a complete review of the power door locks and trunk release. Checked out the instructions and very well written and documented!

And thanks for the pictures.

Okay Dennis here is a head scratcher, I also am haveing the same issue as Scooter, I installed a factory power trunk and when I pop it it flies all the way up quite hard which is not good.... I have tried all three slots and it just about takes your block off still ??? I dont want the bars out as I need it to stay open when needed but also almost closed when she pops . any Ideas ??? I also installed power door locks as well and bingo all is good on both doors....

Darren.

Okay Dennis here is a head scratcher, I also am haveing the same issue as Scooter, I installed a factory power trunk and when I pop it it flies all the way up quite hard which is not good.... I have tried all three slots and it just about takes your block off still ??? I dont want the bars out as I need it to stay open when needed but also almost closed when she pops . any Ideas ??? I also installed power door locks as well and bingo all is good on both doors....

Darren.

That seems strange, Darren. What came to mind immediately was adding some weight to the trunk lid as far from the hinge as possible, especially since the lightest spring setting is still too strong. If you look at the underside of your trunk lid you will see three rectangular holes at the rear of the substructure on the passenger side. There are also two round holes in the center cross braces, one on each side and one irregular opening right in the center. I suggest inserting some of those lead wheel balancing weights that have sticky tape on them inside several/any of those openings (just out of sight, of course) until you get the right amount of weight to almost counterbalance the springs on their lowest setting.

The attractive part of adding weight to the outer edge of the trunk lid is that it will have much more effect on keeping the lid down (or from flying up) than on pulling the lid down once it is up. The force (weight) always acts straight down due to gravity but the resolution of forces changes drastically with the geometry of a closed lid versus an open lid. The increase in inertia due to the additional weight should also make it easier to achieve latching force when the lid is closed. The only challenge will be adding weight in an unseen way.

Of course, I haven't tried this myself but, at least in theory, it should work. grin

that's unusual that having both springs in the lightest slot and your trunk still flies up???

I'd like to see some detailed pictures of your car, something's not right??? I have both of my monte's adjusted the same way and both act exactly the same confused

Hi guys I will try to get some pictures but its a little tricky to bend in there in my situation (health wise) as my bars are definitely different but still have the same three adjustment slots and and the second bar has only one on the side..... YES side as I have the convertible trunk lid rods and trunk pillars too....

Darren.

Did your convertible setup require a different trunk rod? Perhaps a shorter one? I'm thinking that because the spring is a torsion bar, a shorter rod will be stiffer. (insert joke here).

Imagine a yardstick...you can pretty easily twist one end 1/8 or 1/4 turn, but not so if you are trying that with a ruler.

Adding weight to the back edge of the lid is a practical solution, but I'd imagne you'd need to add pounds instead of ounces. You can trial & error with scrap iron and a spring clip or small c-clamp holding it in place.

Then you get the persistent questions at the car shows: "Why do you have an axe mounted under your trunklid"?

Then you get the persistent questions at the car shows: "Why do you have an axe mounted under your trunklid"?
kicking

• Well! because in my past life I was a fireman.
  • because you hate French speaking people and are waiting on the first to ask.
  • cause should an emergency arise you want one within arms reach.
  • cause you're axe murderer and having one close to you keeps you at bay.
  • cause you don't give a damn about the strange looks you get, even though you keep close adherence to the rules of forceful entry.
  • cause you're close kin to Brawny, and a firm believer in keeping wedges and axes handy.
  • cause your chaps are in the shop, and your tool shed is overfilled.