Muncie 4-speeds

Murphy

What's difference between muncie's 63-65 with no ring and 66-70 with 2 rings? I've also discovered the earlier has a 7/8" main shaft vs the later units have a 1" main shaft......I'm starting to shop around!

• 2 months later...

I spoke with a guy last nite about an M20 here locally and plan on looking at it Saturday. The pics show it nice & clean. But I have a few questions if I could get some assistance......

1. Should I be able to rotate the input shaft by hand?

2. Should I require him to open the side cover for a visual inspection?

3. What else should I ask?

The part number is P0C24A, out of a 70 Corvette which was totalled. Its probably true as he is selling a bunch of other corvette parts salvaged from the wreck.

Murray,

I don't know or remember your cars history, if it's an original and you want to keep it just like the day it was built or was an automatic now converted to a stick, BUT. If I was converting an automatic Monte to a stick, I would use an overdrive transmission. If my original THM350 died, I would replace it with an overdrive automatic. Several members hear have overdrives and I don't believe any regret that upgrade. Gas isn't getting cheaper and won't. Almost all vehicles built since the mid 1980's have overdrive transmissions. Again, if this is an all stock car, I understand and again this is just my opinion that I wanted to share.

Bruce

I would definitely insist on opening up the side cover and looking at all the gear teeth and the syncro ring teeth (the gold ones). The nicer they are, the better it should shift. You can slide the internal rings over to put it in the gears and rotate the input shaft. Might tell you something. Input shaft will turn assuming it's only in one gear. Check the mounting tabs (to the bellhousing) and shifter bolt holes for any cracks or problems.

Well, I pulled the trigger on that M20, its out of a corvette as per the owner....

DSCF1695_zpse6ba26cf.jpg

DSCF1696_zps460ee76f.jpg

Now the hunt begins for everything else needed for this puzzle..

Congratulations, Murray! You won't be sorry ... fun, fun, fun.

Do you have a detailed list of everything else you will need? If/when you can share it we can all keep our eyes and ears open to possibly help you locate it.

Have you decoded the numbers on the tranny yet? It sure looks clean, has it been rebuilt?

P0C24A - 1970, March 24, M20. I've verified the various case numbers and everything is consistant. It's not been rebuilt, been on the self for many years, it looks good on the inside, no chips that I could see and spins quite smoothly. Going to take it to a local Muncie guy for eval & at least new seals. I got it for $400 and he thru in the flywheel! (With a bit of coaxing!)

I thought so.....I've been watching m20 pricing for months here locally and it meet my requirements at a good price. Trying to gather info on this flywheel (3789733) I knew that it's 168 tooth, but trying to confirm which clutch 10.5 or 11"? Anyone have any specs I can go on???

Thanks Sam, I like the centerforce 11"clutch w/the dual friction plate, but we'll see.....Bought a Lakewood scatter shield/bellhousing w/fork yesterday. Looks new for $200, just need to order the boot. Having a problem locating a backup light switch. Any thoughts on a source? I thought it would come with the Hurst products but it doesn't.

there is a rod connected to it like a column shift automatic that operates the back-up switch and steering column lock. that's why it must be put in reverse to be able to remove the key from the ignition switch too

I've found a diagram in the Haynes manual, called the back drive rod assy. Guess I'll be contacting Jared or Leo, any other suggestions on parts source?

Sam was your Monte converted or born with the Muncie? Wondering if I need to get the sheet metal piece for mounting the shifter boot? Or is the main function of this piece for added clearance for linkage....

http://www.opgi.com/monte-carlo/1971/sheet-metal-body-panels/floor-pans/A62551B/

There are two transmission humps for the standards, the one Sam has (and your link shows) for bench seat cars, and a different one for console cars. Pretty sure Sam's car is original but he can chime in.