FGMCC member Mike Boyt and his Monte

Few weeks back we went to the Chevy High Performance nationals. Just want to shout out to FGMCC member and very good friend of mine Mike Boyt and his 72 Monte Custom.

His car is the FIRST EVER MONTE CARLO OF ANY GENERATION to be in the PLATINUM CLASS (same as Super Chevy Gold). There were 12 or so cars in this class from 57 Chevys to a 999 pt 69 Camaro Z28. Although his Monte didn't take any special awards in the class, just getting to this level is a victory for all 70-72 Monte Carlo owners. His in your face attitude approach to what he's done with this car is starting to show. One of the judges that does NMCA and the Chevy High Performance is also a Super Chevy Judge, and says his car is Gold, no doubt. So the Next Super Chevy they'll no longer be able to ignore a First Gen Monte as this car becomes the first ever to go Gold!

This is a statement to what First Generation Monte Carlos really are, for those of you attending the Eastern Meet this weekend you'll be able to see what "perfection" is when it come to a First Generation Monte Carlo.

You will hear and see a lot out of this car in the coming years as it is forever improving and is headed toward the ISCA caliber and the indoor car show circuit.

The funniest thing about what the judges said of his car is "you need to replace your front seat bolts" shock So replace your seat bolts before you head out to the showfield on all your Montes!

Jared is right on...I first saw Mike's Monte at the 2013 Muscle Car Nats earlier this year...and it totally knocked my socks off! The more you look at it..the more you see the fine detail it has.

Platinum class...no questions there. You have to see it to believe it. Words cannot express the caliber of this car.

Glad I replaced my front seat bolts! lol Mikes interior remains completely original & I dont blame him for not touching a thing, thats probably the way it should stay, so dont change your bolts Mike no matter who says what.

Congrats on your car going Platinum Mike! It was very nice to meet you and your wife in Carlisle & hope to meet up with you again. Mike is a great guy to hang out with & certainly a Southern gentleman, even though he hangs out in the holler, whoops sorry Mike HAULER lol

Most of us have some kind of story behind why we have our Montes, some are funny, some are nostalgic, and some are sad. Unfortunetly Mikes is a pretty sad one & Im sure Im not at liberty to speak of it publicly. Mike has made a very special tribute of his car for someone very close to him. He tells me he has never taken a picture of the car so most of us will never get to see it unless you see it in person. I thought I would post a few pics of his car here that I took at Carlisle last weekend. He was invited by Carlisle to bring & show his car inside a special display building. This truly is a beautiful Monte & everyone here should see it, just dont look at his seat bolts wink Mike if Ive gone to far here please let me know & I will remove this post.

Heres his beautiful Monte, unfortunetly the ropes wouldnt let me get close or all the way around it (Mike gave me a special VIP look at it inside the ropes but I didnt have my camera on me then mad). I was over too look at it a few times & everytime there was quite a crowd checking it out. Mike has also done a fantastic job designing and fabricating many one of a kind pieces on his car, pictures dont do it justice, you really need to see it in person.

IMG_3975_zps598bde14.jpg

IMG_3973_zpsc85f0b01.jpg

IMG_3974_zps4f9dc31a.jpg

Great looking car! Love the color. I like the "door stay open" bar on the left door. I noticed Mike has a graduation tassel hanging from the inside rear view mirror. I wonder what year it's from? (I have my 71 from high school hanging from my mirror)

Bruce

WOW!!! I am speechless, I really don't know what to say. Cory, That was a very nice thing for you to say and do. I do appreciate the comments very much. As for the story behind the car, I do not mind it being told. It was a pleasure to meet you and your wife and we will look foward to future meetings.If you would like to plan some future showings together, We would love to. Your car is also a work of art. The cars would show well together. We enjoy everyone so much at these shows and look so foward to seeing everyone again. As for the tassel, It was my brothers and the year is 1976. Our bicentenial year and the top of the pin reflects that