Rear End

ChevyKat

Here's a question!!!

I did a rebuild on my 70's 350 motor. The car came stock with a 273 rear end which is awful! I was told that a 4:10 would top out at 65 and wouldn't do well in my car. The engine builder says to use a 342, says it would be the best of the 2. Get up and go, and good for cruise down the interstate. Please let me know what your take is on this, I'm ready to finally drive my girl, but want to make sure I can burn a tire, and still drive it to Turkey Rod run in Daytona where I originally bought her last year:-)

Thanks soooo very much for any input! Let me know what you think:-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey ChevyKat do you know if you have to change the differential from a 2 series to a 3 series to accommodate the 3.31,3.42's?

Or can yo put the 3.31/3.42 on the same differential as the 2.73?

• 6 months later...

I went from a 2.73 stock gear non posi to a 3.73 posi. Yes you will need to change the carrier to make that big of a jump in ratio.

Also after realizing that I did more driving roads that were 50+ mph I ended up dropping back to a 3.31 and my stock configuration 400 and I are both happier.

I have the Eaton 19554-010, it is a series 3 (3.08- 3.90) Jegs has it for $489 and it looks like there is a $70 rebate from Eaton right now.

I was told by the trans guy that I know that I would like this one better for street use, that it have less chatter than the Auburn. That was his opinion so I took it.