Replacing speakers

amsterdam84

Ok I think I will be replacing the speakers soon. Originally my car is the mono front speaker. If I want to switch to stereo where do I find the brackets and what size can I get?

Also I don't have any 6x9s installed. I have a cutout in the package tray board but not in the covering material. I've been hesitant to cut the speaker hole braces out to put in speakers and prefer to hang them underneath like normal but I have already ruined one pair due to some scaly rust falling to the speaker. I most likely will put some sort of grill on top and cut out the material. What should I do?

Front:

I assume you mean you just have one speaker in the centre of the dash. To go with stereo, you will need a different dash pad with the speaker grills in the left and right sides of the dash. Modern speakers are a different shape than the stock stereo speakers and mount differently as well. You will need to custm mount them in the dash.

Rear:

In my case, I wanted the car to look stock so I used stock speaker grills and mounted the speaker underneath. Now the modern speakers I purchased have a tweeter in the centre which sits taller than the rest of the 6x9 speaker. I used some sticky 1 inch foam and put that around the perimerter of the speaker to allow space for the tweeter. This way, I avoided cutting the speaker hole braces.

I actually have a pair of the replacement front stock type stereo speakers and the brackets. I'm not going to use them so if you are interested, send me a PM.

4x6" is the size of a stock stereo speaker with the drivers side having a offset magment. On the passager side you have alot of room since there is nothing on that side of the dash. I put modem 4x6" in my dash, drivers side has one screw holding it in place and it doesnt mess up the dash. Now in the rear there should be 6x9's hanging from the package tray and then a cardboard box coving the speaker up.

If your radio is stock, then it is a 10 OHM. You need to use 10 OHM speakers. The new speakers are 4OHM and will work a while but they will damage the radio. This is what Pioneer told me and alot of other people.

It's a modern cd/mp3 player going in the glove box thats good for 225 watts I think. The stock radio is still in but not connected. And the station presets don't work either. My current dash pad is cracked and faded. New pads only com in black and you have to dye it right?

If you are going to use a stock era correct radio then yes, 10 OHM speakers are required or you will damage the radio.

If going for a stereo radio, you will need a different wiring harness (9 pin) that plugs into radio and feeds the 4 speakers.

As Aaron stated, you will need a stereo dash, 2 front 4x6 speakers (1 driver side with offset magnet), 2 speaker brackets compatible with dash mounting points and 2 6x9 speakers (10 OHM) for rear package tray. Will need 2 speaker grill covers for rear and 2 baffles for rear to project sound up thru package tray instead of into trunk. The 2 rear speakers should be equipped with a mounting bracket that allows you to secure the baffles on the underside of the rear speakers.

Here some pic's to identify components.

fffc_1.jpg

FRONT SPEAKER BRACKETS

a86a_1.jpg

FRONT 4X6 SPEAKERS (Notice driver side w/angled magnet

041b_1.jpg

REAR SPEAKERS

223c_1.jpg

REAR SPEAKER PACKAGE TRAY GRILLS

I plan on converting my factory Mono AM/FM radio to stereo someday. I've gathered everything I need. Just need to have radio bench tested to ensure it is sound before I do the conversion.

I am not certain but think the mounting locations on the rear package tray are intregal with the frame. I have examined my 72 and only need to cut access into the package tray to mount additional speaker.

I bought my 9 pin wiring harness from Impala Bobs if I remember right. Same as a Chevelle harness.

Hope this helps. Found most of what I needed on eBAY and had speakers reconned. The 6x9's & Grills are hardest to come by. You might use the For Sale forum here to locate them. I think there is a set of dash mounting brackets on eBAY that ends today.

I believe I have a extra set of dash brackets and the 2 4x6 correct speakers stored somewhere. Speakers would need reconned however. The baffles can be purchased aftermarket.

Doug

• 7 years later...

My all stock '71 has one rear speaker. As best I can tell, it has two front speakers, though only the driver's side appears to work, . Is that correct, two front and one rear in an AM radio car?

I'd like to upgrade to better speakers, but I plan to show the car in stock classes. Also, I've seen the replacement radios out there. I'd probably do that as well. I think most places like Carlisle allow a replacement head unit.

My all stock '71 has one rear speaker. As best I can tell, it has two front speakers, though only the driver's side appears to work, . Is that correct, two front and one rear in an AM radio car?

Russ,

If your '71 was built with AC (RPO C60), even an AM radio (probably RPO U63) will have dual front speakers.  The single rear speaker would have been an option (probably RPO U80).  If you have a Build Sheet you can easily verify that as a "stock" configuration.

Thanks. My car is a Canadian built car, so there was no build sheet. I did send off for a summary sheet from Vintage Vehicle Services and it supposedly came with a U69 AM/FM radio, but it has an AM radio in it, possibly dealer installed. At any rate, it is an AC C60 car with two front speakers, It does have the single rear speaker installed, but not on the summary sheet, again maybe dealer installed.

Why someone would order an AM/FM radio without a rear speaker and then have the dealer put in an AM radio and a rear speaker is beyond me, but a retired GM engineer friend of mine says it happened all the time.

At any rate, I think I may take the stock radio out and put in a modern vintage style unit and just run aftermarket speakers in the front. I don't really want to cut up the original rear package tray. I would imagine just hooking up a single rear speaker to a stereo head unit would sound terrible.

Russ,

If you decide to replace your stock radio and front speakers, you might like to check out the Electro-Tech 4x6 dash speakers for '70-'72 Chevelle/Monte Carlo.  Here's the LINK.  Just scroll down a few screens until you come to this particular speaker.  The product number is EN46CD-8A.  For an extra $10 a pair they will include the brackets that adapt this speaker directly to the stock Monte front speaker brackets with zero modifications.  Unlike many speakers, these have a trimmer magnet housing so you don't run into interference problems with the brackets or any nearby dash structure. 

I replaced the non-working AM push button radio and single front speaker (only) in my '70 4-speed with an aftermarket AM/FM Stereo that exactly fit the stock dash panel (I believe it was from Classic Audio or something like that) plus twin aftermarket front and rear speakers.  I cut the out the center web in the rear package tray for each speaker using a sheet metal nibbler.  It's not stock or original but it sure sounds better ...

post-567-0-43550700-1525125508_thumb.jpg

Good luck.

Ok, I'm putting together a plan of attack here, I have a couple more questions...

I plan on using a modern head unit that fits in the dash from one of the repro companies, so there won't be any speaker impedance issues.

You're suggesting using the Electro-Tech 4x6s in the front because no other modern speakers will fit in the dash, at least on the driver's side?

I currently have one stock rear speaker on the passenger side of the package tray with the package tray board on top and a stock type speaker grill. Looking in the trunk, it appears there is an identical empty speaker hole and mounts on the driver's side. It looks like all I have to do to install two 6x9s in the rear is to cut a hole in the package tray board and get another stock style rear speaker grill. Did any MCs or other GM A bodies have dual rear speakers? Again, I'm trying to look as stock as possible.

My car was ordered with a am-8 track, it came with dualspeakers front and rear. I would see no problem if you added the second speaker and factory grille. Good luck

Yes, in addition to the 8-track units, ordering RPO U79 Stereo Radio got you dual front and rear speakers as shown on the Build Sheet of my '70 SS below.  Your plan should work fine and look very close to stock, especially if you can find another stock rear speaker grill. 

The biggest disappointment I have with my aftermarket radio is that the knobs do not replicate the factory knobs and they attach differently so I couldn't move my stock knobs over from the non-working stock radio (believe me, I tried!).

post-567-0-43328400-1525145897_thumb.jpg

The Electro Tech speakers sound really good. I just replaced my front speakers because of the Dakota Digital display I installed. The volt meter in the Dakota display was larger than the old amp meter of the old configuration. I also had to make some new brackets for the drivers side because of said meter the speaker had to be moved towards the center of the dash about an inch.

• Like 1