Is anyone using the Nitto 555R Drag Radials?

Mom's Car

If so, how do you like them?

I want to complete the sleeper look with whitewall drag radials. Diamond Back only does the Nitto 555R. I currently have the Mickey ET Streets in the 295/55 on a 8" wheel with a 5" back space. The Mickeys work very well but I cannot get them in a white wall. For those that do not know my set up, I have a 71 Monte with a 582 pump gas 750hp 750tq, 5 speed TKO 600 and a Moser 9" with 3.70 Gears.

FYI, paint works pretty well on rubber as long as it isn't a gloss finish paint. For some reason, gloss paints do not fully dry when applied on rubber (?). They set up like a tacky goo.

For rubber,Flat paint is best, and semi-gloss is ok...the more gloss, the less it fully sets.

I had to apply a coat of black to my '71SS bumper strip. Semi-flat worked great.

Anyone that knows Greg, knows he is a character, and wants the super sleeper look for his Monte. It has hubcaps, a tow hitch, radio delete plate, it's very quiet, and now wants whitewall tires to complete "the look". He drives with his "old man" hat on, and his car really suprises the guy next to him. It will be interesting to see white walls on a set of drag radials.

………..and his other sleeper! LOL …… Parks it at cruises with a wooden vintage surfboard on the roof rails. Woody Forester Dyno Pull

But seriously ….. no one has any information to share regarding the Nitto 555 Drag Radials. They are the only ones they are willing to add white walls to but he is not want to sacrifice grip compared to his current drag radials.

Dan

they are generally not considered to be the best out there. with the power that Greg has nothing is really going to hook much on the street except from maybe a roll...the only good tire that is street legal AND recommended for HWY use that I know of is the M/T drag racial....the Hoosier QT Pro is a good tire but not recommended for HWY use...but...that doesn't stop most guys from running them...

Hey Davey......Thanks for chiming in. Are you talking about the MT ET Streets? I have them on the car now. I think they are approved for highway and are okay unless it's raining. I got caught in the rain with them and they are scary. I have only recently gotten the thing buttoned up and was not able to get it together for the last track rental. I would love to heat the current tires up and pull a few hole shots but I honestly do not know where I could get away with it. The cold weather that is setting in does not help. It hooked good with the old motor, 3.27 first gear and 3.70 rear gear. The new combo has an extra 125hp and torque with a 2.87 first gear. With the old or new combo, if I wanted to light up the tires, I could. But, if I don't MASH it, and just ease into the throttle......it does hook pretty darn good.

they are generally not considered to be the best out there. with the power that Greg has nothing is really going to hook much on the street except from maybe a roll...the only good tire that is street legal AND recommended for HWY use that I know of is the M/T drag racial....the Hoosier QT Pro is a good tire but not recommended for HWY use...but...that doesn't stop most guys from running them...

M/T ET Streets are DOT approved, now with that said, they are basically a Slick IMO that is DOT approved and is by no means a wet road tire, and is also Bias-Ply.

I have M/T ET STREET RADIALS on my car and am very happy with the results at the track, they hook very well, and I have had them in the rain with good results being a Radial, but would not try driving very fast just to be safe.

They will only put the white wall on the 555R. I did inquire about the NTO5R but that was not a choice. They also do the bf goodrich drag radial but I did not find any positive results on that tire either. They did do the M/T E T Street Radial a few years ago but MT changed who made them.

If the NITTO is your tire of choice, You may want to look at the NITTO NT05R

Hey Davey......Thanks for chiming in. Are you talking about the MT ET Streets? I have them on the car now. I think they are approved for highway and are okay unless it's raining. I got caught in the rain with them and they are scary. I have only recently gotten the thing buttoned up and was not able to get it together for the last track rental. I would love to heat the current tires up and pull a few hole shots but I honestly do not know where I could get away with it. The cold weather that is setting in does not help. It hooked good with the old motor, 3.27 first gear and 3.70 rear gear. The new combo has an extra 125hp and torque with a 2.87 first gear. With the old or new combo, if I wanted to light up the tires, I could. But, if I don't MASH it, and just ease into the throttle......it does hook pretty darn good.

Originally Posted By: CrazyDavey

Greg I was referring to the ET Street radial. The radial version works a little better on a wet road (the groove pattern does move form the center to the edge of the tire) but would still be a bit of an adventure in significant rain conditions. Being a radial it will handle the weight of the car better in normal driving conditions and wears a ton better. The thing with a radial at the track is tire pressure and heat. They are sensitive to both so you have to play with them a bit to find what they like on your car. They don't like to be cold or real heat either, sort of in the middle, most guys will run them between 18 and 22 lbs at the track...probably 25-28 lbs on the street...typical size for the car would probably be a 275x60...there is a new "Pro" version of the tire that is DOT but again not recommended for HWY use (again because of the tread pattern) but they have very superior hook in dry conditions....

Thanks for the feedback Davey. I do have the ET street radials. It has the 2 treads down the middle and the treads going off to the side like you stated. I am running the 295/55 R15 like Al M. I am going to keep these on another set of rims for track day.

Thanks to those who threw in their 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: Mom's Car

Originally Posted By: CrazyDavey

Greg I was referring to the ET Street radial. The radial version works a little better on a wet road (the groove pattern does move form the center to the edge of the tire) but would still be a bit of an adventure in significant rain conditions. Being a radial it will handle the weight of the car better in normal driving conditions and wears a ton better. The thing with a radial at the track is tire pressure and heat. They are sensitive to both so you have to play with them a bit to find what they like on your car. They don't like to be cold or real heat either, sort of in the middle, most guys will run them between 18 and 22 lbs at the track...probably 25-28 lbs on the street...typical size for the car would probably be a 275x60...there is a new "Pro" version of the tire that is DOT but again not recommended for HWY use (again because of the tread pattern) but they have very superior hook in dry conditions....