Load leveling system

I recently purchased a 1971 SS Monte.The load leveling system is all there and I was told it was operational. But I'm not sure if it is working or not. Can anyone tell me how this system is sopposed to work.

JohnnyB,

You have come to the right place for advice, unfortunately, I can't help you with this question but numerous members who have SS's will be able to help you out.

I would think if you measured the height of the rear end and then loaded the trunk down with some weight(have a few of your buddies jump in) and then take another measurement it should raise back up to the unloaded level. If I am not mistaken the car may need to be running for the system to work.

Now to the important stuff, I would like to welcome you to the First Generation Monte Carlo web site. We also have a club which you are invited to join. You don't need to be a member to participate in the board but to recieve the window decal with our logo and the monthly newsletter you must join.

There is a great group here with answers to most all of your questions. Very few questions have gone unanswered here. Tell us a little more about your car, color, options, condition of interior and body etc. etc. Also where you are from,(what state) we may have members in your area.

Rob

------------------

Go Car or Show Car, it doesn't matter, you are welcome here

Hi Rob

Thanks for the responce.The car is lime green, with a dark green top,jade vinyl interior,custom deluxe belts, soft-ray tinted glass, strato-bucket front seats, air conditioning, center console, turbo hydramatic,power steering, am pushbutton radio,15x7 rally wheels. The car has 53,000 original miles body is in great shape the interior is in beautiful shape as well.I am having new tires put on today.I live in vacaville california which is located between San Francisco and Sacramento.

Welcome to the board. We have a couple of members in the area between Sacramento and Auburn..maybe 5 or 6 of us. It's good to have you along.

As for the level system, Rob was right; it should raise the rear back to a level position when you put something heavy in the trunk. The car has to be running because the air compressor uses engine vacuum as its power source. The compressor is very slow at pumping air. It will give good pressure, but it moves air slowly.

Load your trunk to make it drop a couple of inches, then start the engine and go into the house and boil some water. When you are done, go back out and see if the car has returned to level.

Welcome to the SS board. It sounds like a nice car. Rob is right about the system. It uses air shocks to keep the car at a steady ride hight even when loaded down. It uses engine vacuum so the engine must be running for it to work. His suggestion on testing it should work fine. Don't expect the system to bring it back up in one or two seconds. It needs a minute or two to pump the air shocks up. The heavier the load, the longer it will take to come back to level. If you don't notice the rear end at least trying to come back up after two minutes or so, check to see if the pump is working. You should be able to hear or feel if it is doing anything. First make sure your car has air shocks with the air lines hooked up to them.

------------------

Steve

Welcome to the group . smile.gif

from my limited learning about the level system . ( i am tinkering with one ) i find that the pump will not make pressure if the system leaks down . i find it has to have some pressure in the system , then the pump will produce pressure . if the pump is making pressure the actuating valve must be in working order also .

if you look at the compressor , it has a schrader valve where you can add air pressure externally .

mike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 20 years later...

You may find a straggler part here or there but gaskets and diaphragms generally need to be made. Post what parts you are looking for and it’s possible that someone here might have some. 

• Like 1