New member - wheel and tire combination question

I have a 1972 Monte Carlo with the 15x7 inch rally wheels. The car currently wears 235/70/15 tires. I have read through many of the threads on tire/wheel options, but I would like to get some clarification on a few things.

Can I run 255/60/15 in the front on the current wheels without making any adjustments?

Can I run 275/60/15 in the back on the current wheels without making any adjustments?

Can I run a 15x8 inch rally wheel on the rear? If so, how wide of a tire can I run without fear of rubbing anywhere?

I would prefer to run the 15x8's on the rear to give the wheel a deeper look, however, I don't want to trim the wheel wells. Jegs offers a rally wheel with 4.25" of backspace. Would this be an option?

Thanks.

Welcome to the FGMCC !!! That is exactly what I run.15x7 GM Rally rims with P255-60-15 in the front and 15x8 GM Rally rims with a 5 inch backspace, with P275-60-15 in the rear. The tires are BF Goodrich Radial TA's with no fitment or rubbing issues. Prior to changing to the above sizes, I had 15X7 Rally rims all around with BFG Radial TA's P235-60-15 all around.

Summit Racing should have them Spend over a hundred and shipping is free.Summit sells Wheel Vintiques and they are Argent Silver powder coated.

Can I ask where you found 15x8 gm Rally's with 5 inch backspace? Have any pics? Sounds like what I'm trying to do .

Todd,

I also went with the tire/wheel combo you are considering (15X7, 4" BS, 255/60 front; and 15X8, 5" BS 275/60 rear).

As you can see in the photo below, even a 5" Backspace does not give you a lot of room to spare with the 275/60 tire. I can insert the fingers of my cupped hand between the sidewall and the untrimmed/unrolled edge of the wheel well, but just barely. Another advantage of this wheel width/BS combo is that you have a full three inches of depth exposed on both front and rear wheels so you can use the deeper 3" beauty rings.

PA230053.jpg

PA230054.jpg

I purchased my new wheel/beauty ring/derby cap combo as a complete package from David's Rally Wheels out of San Jose, CA three years ago. He also has an on-line eBay store. He gave me excellent service and a better deal on the whole package than I could assemble myself. He sells only top quality brands - the wheels were Vintiques, for example, same as Summit sells.

One huge consideration, of course, is shipping costs. More and more companies are offering "free" shipping, but many of them just build it into their product pricing so you still have to consider total cost. Good luck and good shopping.

• 4 months later...

I know it's been a while - But, what do you think the impact would be if I ran the 15 X7 's up front, the 15X8's in the back just like you - however, I run 255's all the way around? How would that look? Thanks!

There'd be less sidewall bulge since they wouldn't be as pinched, but I don't think there'd be any difference in ride quality or handling...

Personally, I like the bulge, so if I were going to be sticking with 255s I'd just run the stock 15x7s.

There'd be less sidewall bulge since they wouldn't be as pinched, but I don't think there'd be any difference in ride quality or handling...

Personally, I like the bulge, so if I were going to be sticking with 255s I'd just run the stock 15x7s.

I agree. When 275s are used on the rear, the extra .8 inch of tire width on a 1 inch wider rim give a very similar bulge and appearance to the 255 on a 7 in rim (see photos in previous post). Having the same width of tire on two different rim widths seems pointless unless it was temporary because you were planning to go to a wider tire on the rear in the future. JMO, of course.