Repairing window channels

V8Freak

Hey guys so my cars back at body shop getting some touch ups, the guys and old boy and has done really good work and I don't like too give anyone a hard time but I'm having an issue. So I'm not sure the exact name for it but basically the channel that runs along the too of the side windows where the trim clips too I think it's basically too catch rain and not allow it too drip down. Anyways I was expecting it too be nice and smooth but he seems too be having trouble, he's don't a great job on the rest of the car but says he doesn't want too build it up too much because the trim may not go on properly. Should I except this? Is it really that difficult of a spot too clean up and make pretty?

the drip rail moldings snap on and are a very tight fit, any extra material may interfere with the installation of them, I wouldn't be concerned about the finish as they will be covered by the moldings

the drip rail moldings snap on and are a very tight fit, any extra material may interfere with the installation of them, I wouldn't be concerned about the finish as they will be covered by the moldings

ditto you will not see them anyway, as long as they are not all twisted up you'll be fine

It's more where the water would sit at the bottom where it mates too the actual roof, I don't think the trim goes down that far, best way too describe it would be if your getting in your car and you were too look behind the trim on the gutter part of it

Agreed, the seam sealer will cover/hide it (the area looking down into the gutter from the top). Mine are cracking and at minimum needs resealed and painted. If its on the bottom of gutter looking up, it should be a smooth surface.

Doug

Yeah the factory put seam sealer in that area, but overtime it cracks from getting old and drying out, all of that needs to be grinded off, usually a wire brush on a drill works good. As for as the rails, I would keep as much material off of them as possible, the moldings will fit a lot easier.

Ya the rails are in pretty decent shape minus some minor pitting, my cars going too have a low stance and I'm 6'2 so I'm going too see in behind the rail everytime I get in the car and I'm OCD with this thing so it's gonna bug the crap out of me