Body Bushings

I ordered the OPGI kit some years ago, and found the bolts to be simple grade 5 bolts you can buy in a bin at a harware store. The OEM bolts were also grade 5 but they are nice tall flange head bolts for better grip and better distributing the load on the washers. The closest I found were Grade 8 flange head bolts from Ace Hardware and used those. I also found the washers to be too small on their own and added some others to compensate. I also found that the OEM torques were way too high for these aftermarket bushings. Here is what I used to overcome all of these problems linky. More on this experience linky.

From what I can see, the bolts for the Ground Up kit look a lot better.

Bob, the kits that you are looking at are for a Chevelle. Our Monte's use two bushing at the front corners of the firewall, I think Chevelle's only used one. I ordered my rubber body bushing kit from OPGI. A Monte Carlo has 16 bushing ( including the front radiator bushings ).

Here's a picture of the kit I ordered.

BodyBushing2_zps53bb27c8.jpg.

DSCN0332_zpscda1fa76.jpg

Even though the body mount kit number on the Summit site is correct for a Monte, I think their picture is wrong. I used that kit from OPGI and it had 16 mounts as stated above. Here is the same kit photo from the OPGI site. SB614K Note that the price on the OPGI site is much higher. If you are going to order from Summit, I would call them up and confirm this is the same kit.

For Larry: With 16 body mounts you have all the mounts required, no other kit is required.

Ordered my kit from The Parts Place. One of the guys there has a first gen Monte and they are very familiar with our cars. We had all the correct stuff. Dont remember about the flanged headed bolts but Steve is very particulsr, If they werent correct Steve would not have been happy. Dont remember any pronlems at all.

Dan

As far as quality and durability the OPGI bushings are ok? I checked your website Leo and I could not see body bushings listed as a product you sell.

Hey Leo, here's a thought. Why not sell your own kits that are the full set of closest to OEM bushings and the full set of Grade 8 flange head bolts from Ace Hardware that MGD was speaking of?

It would be great to be able to order the complete kit with the better bolts all from the same source. It would be even better if you were that source. smile

Bob. I have the OPGi Bushing kit in my Monte. I didn't like the bolt kit it came with either. I reused most of my original bolts. Most still where in good shape. I had to be careful when installing some of the bolts from the kit if I did use them cause it was pretty easy to cross thread them. I had to re tap 2 of the body nuts cause of that. I think all in all the Bushings are good. The ride felt better driving down the road.

while we are on this subject my body mount kit did not come with bolts..what is the correct length for the bolts..thank you muchly

Bill

while we are on this subject my body mount kit did not come with bolts..what is the correct length for the bolts..thank you muchly

Bill

I think most of them were 3" except for the rad support bolts which were a bit longer but the best is to simply look at the ones you are removing to compare.

Good luck

lol not even one survived...some were thin as a pencil lead...those were the good ones...but 3 inches is a good start...thanks

• 3 weeks later...