Scratch in Satin Black

Hisalone

Hey guys.

In my Sig, you can see that satin black contrast in the rear quarter. Well, it got a scratch in it, and it's a significant one. frown Short of having to repaint the whole panel, what are my options. Keep in mind this is a SATIN (flat) finish so polishing and buffing will ruin it.

ditto to what Sam said

Solid colors are a little more forgiving to touch up, but with your car I don't think you'd be very happy with it unfortunately

Did this happen at the show you were just at?

ditto to what Sam said

Solid colors are a little more forgiving to touch up, but with your car I don't think you'd be very happy with it unfortunately

Did this happen at the show you were just at?

Yes and we don't need to get into that. Just have to move forward and get it fixed.

One thing I was actually thinking and this is very unorthodox so bear with me: I was thinking of having both panels professionally dipped. They could mask the stencil, dip it in satin black, and have a much more scratch resistant finish on those panels. I'm just finding that keeping those panels nice is quite a chore. I'm going back to the show today to talk to a vendor that does this.

Thoughts?

I hate satin black for this very reason, virtually no easy fix to my knowledge, other than repainting the entire panel. Touch up will look bad, can't spot it in without a halo effect, can't polish it at all as far as I know as it may shine up some. Sorry to hear of your misfortune, bummer.

My paint rep was telling me not too long ago due to the popularity of the satin finishes they were very close to having a satin that could be sanded,polished, and retain it's gloss level. Mercedes has some on their newer models and shops are coming across it more.

The satin can be such a pain because even washing it can cause problems

Sorry to hear of this issue, I hate to hear of problems like this. I can talk to my friend about the new matte finish clear he was talking about and see if he can give me any further info on it.

Just out of curiosity, How would you go about dipping each quarter panel?

It's not literally dipping the quarter panel. The name of the product is Plasti Dip which is a rubberized coating that is sprayed on with several layers creating a protective surface. Having talked to a professional about it, that's not the direction I can go ifI want to retain the gloss '454' in the quarter. He figured what I was afraid of thatthe dip us a thick coating and it would not be level with the emblem.

So, got to contact someone else.

You misunderstand. The panel is painted with a satin finish. My idea was to plasti dip over that, but that's too thick of a coating and would not align with the emblem. It would look cheaply done.

• 2 weeks later...

The satin blackive used in the past , John deer blitz black is actually very easy to use , when I had scratches all I did was scuff the whole panel with scotch brite clean with prep sol and respray the panel. Never had a problem. That leads us to your issue, your panel has a graphic in it. I would think you could mask up the graphic and reshoot the panel with not to much of a problem. I'm assuming you used a base oat with a satin clear. Which makes the job a little more labor intensive but still seems like an easy fix. I painted a motorcycle some years back with a 2 stage paint with semi clear and the owner eventually polished and buffed it and it came out a little more shiny then it was but still looked good.

That's a bit beyond my scope. I left the work to a professional and he brought it down a layer and resprayed as the scratch wasn't deep. The good news it's that panel had some imperfections anyway and now it is all taken care of. But yes, he masked the graphic and sprayed the whole panel.

Though I spent some money, I'm happy that the panel looks better than even before it had the scratch.