Grinding noise

QuadGTI

Today being a nice warm sunny day I decided to wash the Montey

Tried to start up the car and to my shock there was a grinding noise. [you said a naughty!]

I had some warning last summer when the starter would just click and at about the 3-4th time it would start

Is it time for a new starter?

Who makes good ones or just get this one rebuilt at local shop?

FYI.... 1970 454

Check and make sure your starter bolts are tight. If so, your bendix could be going bad and not fully engaging the pinion gear from the starter to the teeth on flex plate which will make that awful grinding noise.

If you have a place that rebuilds starters you could go that route or you could just stop at your local auto parts store and pickup a remanufactured starter with a warranty. If your engine is fairly wild you could get a gear reduction style starter from summit or jegs.

Pick your poison!lol

David

Was just talking to NAPA and they have 2 in stock

High performance $339, standard $289

will take it off and see what all this unnecessary fuss is all about

Mario - nice looking Monte! I had grinding issue back then and took my starter out to inspect the gears/teeth which looked good - took to local parts store to test the starter which they said it was very good. I turned the engine with the wrench manually to inspect the flex plate and discovered some broken teeth on the flex plate. Replaced the flex plate and no grinding noise anymore.

Don't know if this would apply to your Monte but recommend you to take the starter out and have it test at your local parts store.

YES we get boned on all parts.....I have all of my parts shipped to the Niagara falls border U.S.P.S. and pick up a bunch at a time...I had a classic performance parts master cylinder (mcpv-1) sent to me at my house and it cost me an EXTRA $95.05 in "broker fees"..WTH????...Now I just take a leisurely 1 1/2 hour drive pick up "some" declared parts ..others not... lol teehee...have some cheap lunch at Bob Evans and smile all the way home...oh a bottle or 2 might stowaways on this juant too

At work we ship all our orders to Canada with the United States Postal Service Priority Mail. One of our customers gave me a special number I apply on the package, for Antique Auto Parts so it cost's less for customs, or so he said. Don't remember the number but I can check if anyone is interested.

Bruce

I will try to remember to get that customs number from work Friday. I was off sick the past two days.

Bruce

Installed the new starter but im not really happy with it.

It sounds weak when I try to start the car, should have got the high torque one.

I have a spare "92 Caddy Deville starter that I bought for my 4.9 powered Fiero which I never used yet. Would it work on the MC?