72' Hood spear

Be very sure of the type of adhesive you use! I put my new MC emblem in and while it held, the adhesive melted the silverfish paint. Not totally destroyed, but be careful! Wished I could give you a brand to use but obviously mine wasn't it.

Someone will chime in with a good adhesive.

Doug

my wife got me an ebay 72 hood spear from a member here as a surprise for my rebuild..it didn't have the m/c on it so I will polish it and use it as is..pity mine is a 70 but the thought was there

I think its a crime they want $60 or more for a little plastic thing that goes in the end of the spear.

Did ya see what they want for the grill emblem? shock

Originally Posted By: Jared Richey
I think its a crime they want $60 or more for a little plastic thing that goes in the end of the spear.

Did ya see what they want for the grill emblem? shock

lol

I bought one when they was $55. They like 90 now I think. eek

just thinking if a trophy store might be able to reproduce one alot cheaper on a blank emblem I know its NOT the same but???

Sorry for the late responce. Been working alot of hrs.

I got mine from OPGI, like 2 or 3 yrs ago. It was like 60+ dollars.

I do like the idea of clear silicone to attach it. Was thinking of super glue but, scared it will hurt the chrome or the plastic.

Does anyone know how they were attached from factory?

When I bought my 72 someone had replaced the original hood ornament with one from an early 80's Monte. When it fell victim to an unfortunate garage door incident, I replaced it with the correct one from the local GM dealer for about $40. Not sure how the plastic emblem is stuck on there but I can attest that whatever glue GM used, it does bleed through the emblem somewhat. Also, there is a notable gap between the edge of the plastic and the ridge of the chrome recess it sits in. I assume crap/moisture gets into this gap, works its way underneith the emblem causing it to eventually fall out. To avoid this, I filled the gap with clear silicone sealant and it has lasted for the past 25 + years.

• 2 weeks later...