Big Block Header Recommendations?

MonteAZBB70

I know this question has been asked lots of times by a lot of different people, but here it goes again. I have a mild 402, column shift TH400 w/ AC. I've been told that full length headers are better than shorties, but I don't want to make any major mods to make them fit - including dimpling so I would consider anything. Has anyone used Doug's Headers or Doug Thorley Headers? They both appear to have nice thick flanges. How about Hedman Elite's? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Mike

I have to been told to use HOOKER SUPER COMP HEADERS with the big tubes. laugh

Of course they'll set u back around $400. eek

Very good headers though, this is what I will be putting on my 454 SS.

hooker SUPER comps do not fit :rolleyes: , if you are looking at the 2" tubes for a chevelle, the 2" COMPS fit very well but you need to relocate the proportioning valve, if you call hooker they will tell you they don't make any to fit a monte

I learned the hard way with the super comps mad

for a street engine the 1 3/4" tubes would be better, I'd listen to Steve also

you may have trouble with any headers because of the colum shifter

my 2 cents

I tried those super comp`s also (2" primary, 3 1/2" collector) and they would not even clear the the driver side A-arm...I momentarly thought about cutting it (the A-arm that is) then I came to my senses... lol

The passenger side seemed to be okay though.

I finally installed hooker competition headers and they fit well (2" primary, 3 1/2" collector). I would suggest a smaller diameter though for a mild street motor...which should have even more clearance.

Bill

hooker SUPER comps do not fit :rolleyes: , if you are looking at the 2" tubes for a chevelle, the 2" COMPS fit very well but you need to relocate the proportioning valve, if you call hooker they will tell you they don't make any to fit a monte

I learned the hard way with the super comps mad

for a street engine the 1 3/4" tubes would be better, I'd listen to Steve also

you may have trouble with any headers because of the colum shifter

my 2 cents

I'm changing my car to a FLOOR SHIFT CAR, will this make a difference to make them fit. nutz

That will make all the difference. The part that the headers interfere with for the column shift is the linkage that goes down the steering column and eventually to the tranny. Floor shift allows you to remove all of that linkage.

My vote is Hooker comp as well, it's what I have and they've been very nice.

That will make all the difference. The part that the headers interfere with for the column shift is the linkage that goes down the steering column and eventually to the tranny. Floor shift allows you to remove all of that linkage.

My vote is Hooker comp as well, it's what I have and they've been very nice.

YOU JUST MADE MY DAY! partypartyparty

Just a note about the ones Steve and I used, I did not have to dimple them at all, and they do not rub anywhere. smile

Ian

are you keeping the colum shifter? that's the key by what everyone is saying, may have to look for some shorty headers to keep that shifter

Yes, I'm keeping the column shifter. I'm not necessarily against shorties, but I've heard that the performance gains would be significantly less than with full-length headers. Is there a big difference with a mild motor?

Mike

if you were racing, maybe, as for a street ride from the "seat of the pants", I don't think you would notice a difference if you were to hop in two cars, one with long tubes, one with shortys

this is only my opinion from my experiences

Another benefit from the shorties is you have the ability to tuck the exhaust up tight as it exits the engine compartment.

Long tube headers go all the way down to the collector and then you have to deal with it, this was the limiting factor when I lowered my car...too low and the flange scraped on bumps... frown

As far as noticing it with the seat of the pants on a mild street motor...probably not. But I still think you could measure a difference at the track...maybe a 1/2 a car length to a full car length. Too many variables to accurately say, so that is just a guess... wink

Just another header question for me.

Where exactly does the column shift linkage run where the header will come in contact with the linkage. Please clear me up on this. nutzsmile

Gents,

I noticed this footnote on the Patriot headers: 54 - Fits manual and automatic transmission floor shifts only.

-John

Jared,

I think those referrences were to the quote above, because I drove my car over a year with my large Hooker Comp`s and never had any contact with the linkage... confused

I have since converted it to floor shift... cool

I have since converted it to floor shift... cool

I think those referrences were to the quote above, because I drove my car over a year with my large Hooker Comp`s and never had any contact with the linkage... confused 502ci

hmmmm.... nutz

Earlier in this topic it was stated that the big tube headers would get in the way of the linkage. Well that is good to know because I was planning on putting my 454 in the car before I mess with changing it to floorshift. smile

Remember the factory floor shifter and the column shifter both have the same linkage that runs down the firewall to the frame, that could get in the way, but I am not sure why they say only manual or floor shifter, because there is plenty of room around the Patriot headers and the linkage. I will see if I can dig up a picture later.

Ian

I am also looking for a set of headers. Probably full length headers with equal length tubes to maximize scavenging. This way each pulse will get to the collector at a different time. Without equal length headers you may have multiple pulses reaching collector at the same time. I just want to note that many of the mass market headers do not look (or mention) that they are equal length. The only ones that do are "Headers by Ed", "Dougs Headers" & "Doug Thorleys".

Hedman is coming out in June with a new full length header #66103 coated/ #65103 painted where Monte's are listed as a fit. They have 2" primaries with a 1/4" flange.

The Patriot headers Steve used fit perfectly but were a shorty header (clippster), unequal tubes so it did not have all the benefit of a full length header. The did have a 3/8" flange which was nice. Pertronix now owns Dougs headers so if you go to their site you will have access to both brands.

Anyone else have any full length headers that fit (other than the Hooker Comps) without the need of any modification?

How do you calculate which primary tube size is best for your car? Big block headers run from 1 3/4" up to 2 1/8"? Overkill looks cool but can rob power.

Thanks. Trying to gather info because many sites do not even list the monte. If you use a Chevelle header you may be taking a chance.

Dan