Rear coil overs

I am totally interested also...QA1 is #1 on my list....but I can be swayed

I was looking at QA1 and Viking. I think QA1 probably has more of the market share than Viking does but for some reason the Viking ones appeal to me.

Maybe I'll do a little research on the subject and post my results here. I think a lot of people will be interested in them only problem is the cost. Shocks and coils are a lot cheaper than coil overs. The main reason I'm looking at them is to control the level of my car. Ride control and looks are secondary issues. I have 2 inch drop spindles,a coil cut off the springs and smaller tires than the original. So it's going to be hard to get a set of springs to match the front. The coilovers will allow me to have full adjustability on the ride level.

Viking was started by two of the former owners of QA1. They have an awesome facility up in MN. and everything is made in house. The shocks are rebuildable and they can do custom valving.

I have a set of DA's on the rear with factor springs. You can dial them down for street. They have 19 settings for rebound and compression.

Very nice shock for the money.

David

The rebuildable part is one of the things that is drawing me to them. I think I have pretty much made up my mind on the vikings. Just wanted to see if there were any problems anyone may have had with them.

After reading a bit I know for sure that I'm going with the Vikings. I could not find one negative comment about their shocks. Every one really liked them a lot. The following vendors I came across highly recommended them; Midwest Chassis Inc, UMI Sales, BMR Suspension and Matt classic bowties. Here are a few of the benefits I read about that were mentioned.

2 Year warranty- most only had 1 year

Fit and finish were better than the others

ALL their shocks are double adjustable

Made in the USA

Customer service was outstanding

They cost less

Completely rebuildable

Weighed less than the competition

Make sure that the upper shock mount is re-enforced somehow. The rear stock shock mount is whimsical and will likely crack with the full load of both shock & spring.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody installed some of these yet? Real curious about the rears and how they mount up. Looking for some input/reviews for either front or rear or even both if someone has installed both

Rears

Viking rear coilovers

Front and rear kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201037182645

I'm also interested as I just recently read a good article on Viking & their product line in magazine. 'Chevy Performance' in think was the magazine........

OK, I guess Im going to volunteer to be the test dummy here on these. Ordered today and plan on installing in a few weeks, Saturday 7/12. My original front springs are really drooping bad now and Im getting an occasional tire rub thats getting worse lately, so the front is necessary at this time. I really like the stance of my car and hope to keep it as low as possible with this kit without any rubbing issues, the beauty of the adjustable height. The price of the front and rear kit seemed to be a good enough deal to justify doing all 4 corners. Install and performance reviews to come...

http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9939/.f?sc=12

4 pack kit pictures are generic and actually comes with this rear kit below

http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9879/.f?sc=12

OK, I guess Im going to volunteer to be the test dummy here on these. Ordered today and plan on installing in a few weeks, Saturday 7/12. My original front springs are really drooping bad now and Im getting an occasional tire rub thats getting worse lately, so the front is necessary at this time. I really like the stance of my car and hope to keep it as low as possible with this kit without any rubbing issues, the beauty of the adjustable height. The price of the front and rear kit seemed to be a good enough deal to justify doing all 4 corners. Install and performance reviews to come...

http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9939/.f?sc=12

4 pack kit pictures are generic and actually comes with this rear kit below

http://www.p-s-t.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9879/.f?sc=12

I really need something like this and I appreciate you taking the bullet on this expensive mod. I hope everything works like a dream cause I want this. Look forward to the conversion write up. I assume with this kit you remove the old shocks and coils? and these bolt in where the coils are?

eliminate both front, and rear, shocks AND coils...going to be looking for pics now!!!

Some including myself have gone to air bags inside the coils. Adjustable to any height and ride great.

Am interested to know more about your airbags, Mike? I'm currently using air shocks at 30lbs. I like the adjustability but somewhat stiff ride, are you using then a longer shock? Which bags do you recommend?

• 4 weeks later...

Ok guys, I'm finally getting back with you on my review and opinions on this Viking front and rear kit. I did not have the time myself to install these prior to the eastern meet so I had a good friend/mechanic install, adjust and re align front end for me. He had no problems installing and said it was quite an easy conversion. Having had this work done prior to the eastern meet I had the perfect opportunity for a 1000+ mile real world road test. Getting in my car and leaving the shop I could tell immediately some MAJOR change had taken place, this truly did not feel like my car anymore and the feel is more of a modern vehicle. As an added bonus/surprise every little rattle and squeak the existed before is now gone, and I had lots of them, they were driving me nuts and had been wondering to myself how the heck am I going to find an eliminate all these rattles/squeaks. Well this took care of all of them, I had no idea they were all coming from he factory springs/shocks etc. just so you all know I am still using all the factory control arms and sway bars (F41) and had considered upgrading down the road to tubular front & rears etc. After simply changing to this coilover set up I don't think there is any need to replace anything else, at least for me. The car handles fantastic, the difference is extreme, it's very hard for me to decribe how much better everything is with the suspension now. I have it set up at the Viking suggested starting points for street performance as far as compression and rebound settings and works so well I may not even bother to adjust. Any adjustments I do may be just to play around with it now. I would highly recommend this kit to anyone and I hope you all have as much success with it as I did.

I may have my car on a hoist this weekend to do some underbody cleaning after driving in stormy weather on they way back to Michigan Sunday, so I will try to provide some pics then.

PS-Nitto 555's do just fine in rainy driving conditions, just don't floor it!

after reading your review I really want these... coffee2my car also makes a lot of creaks and noises especially when I hit a pothole which in MN there are plenty! Now if I could just find the funds.....just to many wants and not enough cash flow! 2beers