Rear coil overs

Great info! I was thinking of getting their front coil overs and rear smooth body double adjustable shocks for my monte. What size nitto tires are you running? I was thinking of putting 17" rims on my monte as well.

Tires are 255 50 17 all 4 corners, wheels are 17 x 8 with 4.5" backspace. I have the ride height set at 27" front and 26" back measured to the center (highest) point @ lower edge of wheel trim molding.

Good to hear you like those Vikings Cory. I have the good QA1's before quality started to suffer, or as rumor has it. I have the coil overs up front and just the double adjustable shocks in the back and they are well worth the expense. I would recommend only getting the double adjustable versions. you'll spend more but you won't be disappointed.

I noticed an immediate impact on street-ability. Feels like the car is on rails. Just love em.

Cory, what lbs per inch did you go with on the springs up front? I originally went with 350lbs/inch but found that I had the bare minimum travel distance with those. Ended up with the 450lbs/inch. Viking also had a big display at Carlisle this year. I checked them out and they do look like a quality product. - Dave

Sounds like a great upgrade Cory. Maybe someday. I have also heard that Viking are the was to go now and made in the USA. QA1 supposedly was purchased by a Japanese company (like many repro companies) and they are now made oversees and quality has suffered.

If any of you have not seen Nicks car here is a link to his build. On page 2 - 4 he shows the install of the rear coil over kit. For those that want to see pics he shows install in detail with great pics. He used the DSE coil over kit but it looks similar.

http://www.fgmcc.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=426832&page=4

Dan

Hey Murray, there are no modifications to the front as far as additional braces/mounts, they are mounted in the factory positions. However the front lower are mounted on top of lower control arm instead of sliding up thru the bottom like the factory shock. This way the T-bar part of lower shock puts all the weight and stress on top of lower control arm for a much stronger mounting than just the bolts & U clips holding it in place. The rears are an easy install too with brackets top and bottom that require some drilling. The brackets are very stout and doubt there will ever be any issues with the mounting points. I tried to get good pics of the rear brackets/mounting points as I could. My pics are actually better than the ones included in the instructions. Hope these may help the next guy on install. So far I'm completely satisfied and got way more out of this conversion than I expected. grin

• 6 months later...

Just an update.....I have been asking CKZ03 about his satisfaction on the  Viking shocks and he replied with an overwelming "yes" that took about 3 paragraphs of his overall excitement  for these things. So I decided I need a set of these. I only live 30 minutes from Lakeville MN so I am going to go talk to these guys about a shock package for my Monte. Is any body else interested in these? Maybe I could set up a group buy with them. As of right now they want $1339 for coil overs with the bearing kit which they recommend for all applications cause it puts less stress on the seals.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Am interested to know more about your airbags, Mike? I'm currently using air shocks at 30lbs. I like the adjustability but somewhat stiff ride, are you using then a longer shock? Which bags do you recommend?

Mine had the air bags installed in the Springs when I bought it. When I rebuild the suspension and installed new springs and shocks I removed them from my old springs and reinstalled them into my new springs. They work great and didn't change the way the car rides.

The first Eastern Meet I hosted I was very glad I kept them. I had almost forgotten about them being there until...... when I loaded up my car with all of the awardschool, door prizes, luggage and supplies needed (along with my unicycle) every inch of trunk space was filled and the interior was filled to the top of the seats with only enough space for me to squeeze into the drivers seat.

Once the car was fully loaded the rear end was really sagging and the front end was very high....then I remembered the air bags and two minutes later the car was level again so I am an advocate of yhe air bags.

rob

So have you installed them yet? If so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Jim

It was a good investment. You can have the ride of a Cadillac or a Porsche with just a few clicks. The ride is just as good as a modern day car plus all the groans and creeks are gone.