Signal Light Not Blinking

fortworth,tx

Did you check all fuses? Can not remember if left, right and front were on different fuses...

If they are ok, maybe the ground or wiring at the light itself?

If the left hand dash lamp is working then the turn signal switch is good and the problem is between the dash lamp and the front lamp socket.

Remove the lens and bulb.

Using a test light, ground the test lead clip to a good ground.

Turn on the left hand directional signal.

Probe the two contact pins in the socket.

If you get a flashing test light you have a bad ground on the socket body. If there is no flash on either contact, probe the light blue wire coming to the socket.

If you get a flashing test lamp, repair or replace the socket.

If there is no flash, probe the "CS" pin in the bulkhead connector. If there is a flashing test lamp you have an open circuit between the bulkhead connector and the lamp socket. If you do not have a flashing test lamp, you have an open circuit between the dash lamp and the bulkhead connector.

Let us know what you find.

remember!!!!

on our montes the front side marker light is tied into the front turn signals, so I believe if the front side marker bulb goes out the turn signal won't work

Sam,

You may be correct on the 1970. I don't have a drawing of it in front of me. On a 1972 there are two light blue wires coming from the "CS" pin in the bulkhead connector to the lamps up front. When the directional signals are activated the side marker goes out completely and the turn signal circuit grounds through the parking lamp circuit. This is due the fact there is only one filament in the 194 type push in bulb used in the side markers. This arrangement separates the turn signal from the side marker.

The socket for the front turn lamp has two separate feeds. One from circuit 13 (light blue - directional signal) and one from circuit 14 (purple - front parking lamps). The turn signal/parking lamp socket grounds with the left headlamp ground. If the left headlamp is working then the issue is back to the socket, its ground, or an open circuit.

Can you confirm on a 1970 if there are two feed wires for the front lamps for me? One side marker and one turn signal…. I'd just like to know for future reference.

welcome Silly question, Im sure you already did and cant believe others haven't asked, but - did you check your blinker fluid?

Had the same problem a little while back. I assume it's the original wiring? If so. I found on mine to be corrosion in the wires under the insulation especially where the connectors meet. Probing the wires backwards from the connectors let me know how far back to go and then spliced in a weatherproof connector. I've have recently replaced forward lamp harness from M&H Electrical Fabricators and there's been a 100% difference in how my Monte charges, brightness of lights, etc.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Led lights can be tricky. You have to install a resistor such as a hidden original bulb in the circuit (in series) because the led does not draw enought amperage to make the flasher work. I never saw one but I would think there is a flasher for led lights out there somewhere

• 4 months later...

Might be off topic, but how do you remove the front turn signal lens / assembly for a '70?  I'm trying to replace my bulb.  I removed the two screws that secures the metal bracket on the outside of the lens but it doesn't budge.  Sorry if this is a stupid question.  I'm a newbie.