What does your instrument panel look like?

farmall

Hi guys,

At some point this, probably this winter, I would like to take my dash apart, get all the lights working, get my clock fixed and install some new speakers. I have been wondering how many different combinations you can have on the dash. I want to have something that would be correct, even if not for this particular car. I would like to have a tach instead of a huge gas gauge. I would also like to have gauges instead of light for temp, oil, generator and whatever else there is now. I also wanted to see what the little lens is for that is to the left of the cigarette lighter. Does anyone have any clues? I have attached some pics of my dash.

DSCN3052_zps282c4c28.jpg

DSCN3053_zpsb213a2b1.jpg

Here's a 71 version.......

P6280232_zpsc39a15f9.jpg

P6280233_zps4e626c03.jpg

I replaced the clock with a Shiftworks tach and am planning this fall to replace the indicator lights with gauges. I'll be installing a volts, water temp and oil pressure gauge.

Your monte must be a 72 as the little red lense next to the lighter is a seat belt warning light (I believe)........

Here is an old picture of my inst cluster on my 71 NO A/C stereo.

Inst cluster with fact gauges

The warning light on your 72 left of the lighter is a FASTEN SEATBELT light. 70 and 71 did not have this.

The tach is engine specific with different red lines for different engines. I don't remember the data for the RPM.

Bruce

Here is how it looks now dash001-1.jpgbacktogether005_zpsced169d1.jpg the cluster is a Dakota Digital VHX system, also went with the non-air control panel and the block off plate for the center vent. Here is the old stock cluster with cent cent and air control panel plus Auto Meter gauges 003-13.jpg As for the tach a 5000 red line was usual found in the small blocks (Jake has a original 70 ss454 with the 5,000 red line tach) the 402 and the 454 got a 5,500 red line tach. And if you were lucky and ordered the LS6 you could got the 6,000 red line tach. All of the tachs are available in the after market. As Bruce stated the window to the left of the lighter is the seat belt warming light which 72 had.

Here is my factory instrumentation dash from my 72 Monte. (Not all 72's had the seat belt warning buzzer alarm as it was about mid model year when they were introduced).

100_0854.jpg

You can purchase a aftermarket Quartz movement clock look alike (state year of vehicle) as 1970 hue is green!

A replica Tach can be purchased (if utilizing same factory orientation) but your gauge housings are different from a non-tach / tach gauge electrical set up as is the circuit strip attached on rear of panel. Would require some effort and cost to keep originality.

The smaller fuel gauge also can be purchased aftermarket.

Additionally, some electrical knowledge necessary to make all come together if this is what your after.

If you plan on reconfiguring your instrumentation, I would consider replacing ammeter with a volt meter gauge. A volt meter will give you real time voltage performance where an ammeter will not.

Sam is right, no oil pressure gauges for our Montes. I ended up adding aftermarket oil pressure / volt meter / tranny temp gauges at underneath dash.

100_3670.jpg

Doug

Hey, Keith,

Upgrading your idiot light dash to a factory gauge dash is pretty straightforward with kits available on eBay. Also, you may want to take a look at your non-working factory clock before you replace it as some of them can be repaired with common tools. I have done both projects (including converting to LEDs in the instrument cluster) over the past couple of years and made the following tow photo journals that may give you some inspiration and tips:

Click on this link: Upgrading to a factory gauge dash

Before upgrade: (with idiot lights and column-mounted tach)

PC084347.jpg

After upgrade: (factory gauge instrument cluster with LEDs)

PC174420.jpg

Unfortunately, the instructions that come with the gauge upgrade kit are pretty marginal. I can send you a more detailed set of instructions and diagrams that Darren and I wrote if you want. Just let me know an email address. Note: I retained the three-gage cluster above the console because it had an oil pressure gauge which the factory cluster does not have (as Sam has already pointed out).

Click on this link: Repairing a dash clock

PA314247.jpg

Good luck with your project.