Stock replacement radiator

Canuck

Looking for a new rad for my 71 SS454. It is a 3-core rad. I want the stock type (not aluminum) as I'm trying to maintain stock appearance. The supplier for the local auto parts stores is Spectra Premium but the replacement rad they make has the upper tranny cooler fitting too low.

http://ecat.spectrapremium.com/prod/All/cu364

Here's my rad I just pulled out.

0137.JPG

I thought this would be simple since it is likely a pretty common rad but the search for a rad that fits is not as easy as I thought. Have any of you had luck with a specific brand of stock looking rad?

I emailed spectra premium regarding the tranny cooler and they simply ssaid they don't make a rad with the longer tranny cooler. Seems odd as I would have thought the rad I need is pretty common.

The tanks look ok Aaron, did you check out what it would cost to re core that one?

I might need to consider that if I don't find the correct new rad.

Hey Aaron, in response to your question I had replaced my stock radiator with an aftermarket that looked almost identical to the original with perfect fitment. However, this is an Aluminum one.

I bet if you Google it, you would find some alternatives that may include rebuilding your original.

I am guessing you are looking for a quick turn around so can be driven to the WM? In this case, maybe try having restrictions (if in cores) reasonably cleared until after Meet when you have more time to find a suitable replacement.

Anyway, here is a pic of the one I bought from AlumaTech.

Oops! wrong radiator pic, This is the correct one currently in my car. The only thing I didn't like about it was the position of the overflow tube. With a heavy duty battery, it is to close and makes it difficult to get hose off/on. I would ask that be rotated about 15 degrees clockwise if I purchased it again!

100_2873.jpg

And a couple pics showing where/how much exposed for your info.

Copyof100_2886-Copy.jpg

100_2885-2.jpg

Doug

I have aluminum in mine. They say the aluminum works better than the old copper/brass and weighs less. The only real clue that it isn't original is the tanks that are welded on instead of soldered. Ok,... and the color. I painted my tanks black and anything not covered by the shroud. once the shroud is installed you really don't see anything that looks out of place. The AC hides the front.

If all else fails, you can paint the entire thing black. [i just noticed that even the aluminum unit shown in the picture has the upper fitting located lower than yours.]

You may need to source a real radiator shop to have yours re-cored or at least rodded out to get it clean. I like 1-800 radiator here for new replacement, but their application chart only goes back to 1978.

Hey Aaron, in response to your question I had replaced my stock radiator with an aftermarket that looked almost identical to the original with perfect fitment. However, this is an Aluminum one.

I bet if you Google it, you would find some alternatives that may include rebuilding your original.

I am guessing you are looking for a quick turn around so can be driven to the WM? In this case, maybe try having restrictions (if in cores) reasonably cleared until after Meet when you have more time to find a suitable replacement.

getthumb-Copy.jpg

Doug

I see your rad also has the lower tranny cooler fitting.

At this point I think I'm just going to put the rad back in for the Western Meet. My rad may not be my overheating issue, I just thought it was a good idea to put a new one in but did not realize it was going to be this difficult. I ran a hose through it and water seems to flow through pretty freely. I cleaned it up and pulled out some bug carcasses so the air shoulf flow through better now, LOL.

Originally Posted By: 72-CLASSIC_RIDE

getthumb-Copy.jpg

Doug

I see your rad also has the lower tranny cooler fitting.

Aaron, I revised my post correctly showing the radiator design currently in my car. Yes, has both lower/upper tranny cooling lines.

Doug

Sounds good Aaron. I don't believe you will find a direct replacement in the timeframe you are looking at. Hopefully, the radiator flow has improved to help cool engine sufficiently for upcoming traveling. Once back home gives you more flexibility on what you determine needs done. I agree, for originality, maintaining correct color is a plus!

Thought about painting mine but considering that paint would degrade radiator efficiency, I let it be and in fact like how it breaks up the color scheme. And considering the issue with my original one, didn't want to do anything as until tested because didn't know how it would perform as I settled on a 2 Core radiator that provided more spacing between fins and larger diameter tubes. Theory being it is just if not more efficient than 3/4 core radiator. To this date I believe that theory as has run within 160 to 190 degree range and never higher over past 3+ years when I installed it. Of course, not all aluminum 2 core radiators are equal! Some advertise as more efficient but the devil is in the details when you compare against others.

Doug

OK, I see your new photo with the correct radiator. I can swap rads while you sleep at the Western Meet...

Sounds good. Then I can order one with that overflow tube rotated the way I want it!!! Heck, I might even help you... kicking

Doug