wow on appraisel

LS5

Well I had the 402 car appraised last week and the numbers came in but before I share that, I noticed up here in Canada at least as I dont know about the usa they are clamping down on policy holders and how they evaluate cars.. may be good for some and bad for others but this is what this fella of 30 years in the buisiness was just informed of and has changed here in the last 30 days..

There are far more SS cars and RS car and 4spd cars now than GM even made back in the day and for that reason Clamping down has come along. If you have bonafied Documentation or can prove that your engine/tranny/diff still retain the VIN that matches your car or tag on tranny that is dated and coded on the diff that will work as a back up for proof if no docs or Build sheet are to be had.  WITH DOCS AND OR PROOF IT RAISES THE CARS VALUE BY 25% FOR BEING REAL.

In this case my Car is a FLINT car and as know there aint nothing from Flint to prove it. so proving the condition and upkeep or acceptable replacement stuff and as mentioned the VIN matching engine intake heads and M20 and 331 diff is what sinched it for me. this may help us out here and also that my car is legit it came back at a whopping

$29,300.00 in Valued Appraisel.

also pleased to hear that my 71 Shortbox chev 10 came in at $36,400.

and whats last is my other 402 4spd car..

its a bonafied us built car with full Canadian documentation when sold here in 1970 in Canada and is 100% numbers matching with buckets and console and PW with tach and gauges but needs a FULL resto and is not a basket case came in at $10,000.

:yay:  :yay:  :yay:  :yay:  :yay:

Darren

Hi Fella's, Yes Larry it was very cool. Rock I guess thats what they refer to as a return on your investment... hahaha

Sam, I think it would have maybe appraised for more if I had a Buildsheet but being a Flint car as you know thats was not possible or very slim pickings I would find one. besides being able to prove with numbers matching the buildsheet the appraiser said was the Booster...

Mr King great to hear from you my friend.... The Convertible is still in the family it has moved to a new stable though, even though i am sitting better now, I was in dire straights not to long ago due to a vicious divorce that finally got dealt with after 8 years and Mr. Vaughn Peoples has shown an avid interest and desire to be the first to buy it if I was to sell it. and the rest is history..

Darren 

Around here you just tell them what you want to insure it for (within reason) and they will cover it, on Collector car policys anyway, they usually ask for pictures to have.

The #s Matching stuff wouldn't apply to a car like my Red Monte in my signature, to the right buyer it would bring as much as a genuine SS 454, but the only thing that the #s match on it is the Title and VIN tags, everything else has been changed, or modified, and I pay double for a Modified Policy, instead of Stock.

I know on our Nomad the insurance company (State Farm) wanted to see it, so we drove it over to there office after finishing it and the rep took pictures of the outside, unde the hood and even the interior and they valued the car at $32k. My 70 is also insured through State Farm with a value of $12k on (which is less then what I have in it) but they have never seen it.

Appraiser came to our house, took a bunch of photos and we agreed on a value of $25,000. He then supplied us with a full appraisal package. I will have it done again in the future once it has fresh paint etc. at which time it should be around $30,000.

Thats great Larry and so it should being a 71 SS car and the few as we know that have the options and made here that are left.

nice going.

I think I am going to list the Gold 402 4spd car maybe for sale as I wont get to it any time soon and someone else can enjoy it and do it justice or will take a 70-72 el camino on trade for it. prefer a 70 but will see. still tossing it around in my head seeing how there is lots of space up there...

hahaha.

Darren. 

Great info here guys. Even My custom is a matching numbers car 64k original miles with documentation and was even appraised at 22k.its a bucket seat car with cruise control. It has alot of original paint other than the hood but still shines good. It also still has original factory floor mats. I even have small paint chips in some areas but no rust. I was told that can sometimes add value which I still dont understand. Of course when I was pumping gas I was offered 13k for it. I know you rarely get a appraised value for you car but wasnt really sure if that was a good offer? I didnt think so. But it doesn't matter because im not selling it. :)

Hey Eric, sometimes with the appraisers you almost have to be a salesman and tell them all the info you can on the car in order to reassure a great appraisel. Not nessasarily telling them what they need to hear but education them, like....

Here I have a 1972 Monte Carlo but not just a Base Model but a Custom, and not only be a custom which they only made guessing 500 of ? but it is also a Rare Color which is Pewter. so out of all the Customs Black is Rare for the Custom but Pewter is more rare.  Thats education him and getting him the info he needs to help base the price where as he may never have gone looking to see if Pewter is rare let alone the Custom..

You can also sell him on the Factory Floor Matts and original paint in your own words as in the past some appraisers I have dealt with always think of repaints and seemed miffed when you tell them original paint and it helps up the dollar value too.

Its the key points and raraties you have to drive home to them I find. 

My first guy I phoned assumed at first my 402 was the 396 offered in the 70 chevelle and had a custom engine in it because it wasnt the 396 in the monte. I phoned another appraiser to see if he was availible to pop over and he asked what car I had and after I told him it was a Monte carlo he was right in there with the 402 questions. So he knew what was what but still had to be filled in on some things but all was good..

Sharp Car Eric, always liked the Cortez Silver in 1970 and the Pewter in 1972...

Darren. 

At the point of having mine appraised I only knew it was rare in the sense of being a 71 SS and 1 of 1919. It was after having the appraisal done that I had a fresh documentation package done in my name and realized that it is 1 of 6 black on black Canadian 71 SS Montes and 1 of 2 black on black with buckets. I'm not sure that any of that would increase value but it sure is cool. :)

Thanks for the info Darren.I knew pewter was a 72 only color but didnt realize not many were made in it. Thats great to hear! Larry that monte sure does seem on the rare side being canadian built ect. Just watched my classic car show with Dennis Gage. He was in Nova Scotia. What a beautiful place. May have to visit some time. Too bad he was looking at Ford's this time around. I heard he likes first gen montes though?

• 1 month later...

Great info.  As I'm the original onwner of my 71 SS and have all the documentation including build sheet, original window sticker dealer order sheet, protectecto plate, one and only warrenty work order, original spare tire and much more.  75000 original miles. With help from a good friend of mine we came to a close figure as to what production number it would have been out of the 1919 built.  Came out to about Num 750.  I special ordered it with my options late in the model run.  Later RJD

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok Guys, Officialy listed the other 402-4spd for sale in our For Sale Section if anyone is interested....

Darren.