Cost to rebuild BBC???

farmall

Hey guys.  I am seriously considering putting a big block in my 72 monte.  It is currently a 350/ TH350.  I am thinking about a 402, 454 or something like that and a 5 speed manual transmission.  Lets say that I found a running 454 but wanted to freshen it up and put a cam in it to make it sound good.  I am not looking for a high performance engine.  I want to cruise dependably on pump gas in a good sounding car while having the bbc cool factor when the hood is up.  What kind of money do you think I would run into to get the engine ready to drop in?

I had $6000 in parts and machining for a 454 (purchased for $700 and included) that was totally rebuilt. Sounds like we have (I had) the same project. When it was done I had a balanced and blueprinted motor with new pistons, completely rebuilt heads with new larger valves (781 heads), Comp hydraulic roller lifter cam and Edelbrock Air Gap intake. I built the motor myself but I don't think labor is a big cost there (maybe $600?). I swapped the oil pan from my 402 motor, added headers and a new carb and I was off.

I learned a few lessons ($) on my motor build that I did not include (would have been worth that $600), and in the end wondered about adding a bit more for a fully assembled crate motor. You might not need to spend so much on your motor if the bottom end is good. I had things magnafluxed and sized/balanced so that certainly added to the machine shop costs.   

I really love driving it with the 5 speed. I doubt you would regret it.  :shifter:

I guess the cost would be determined by the condition of the 454 you found. If you do some research Eagle has a 489/496 rotating assembly from Jegs at around 1400. If you figure crank work, rod resize, pistons, rings, and bearings it is a pretty good deal.  With modern lubes I would go with a hydraulic roller.  There are lots of scenarios for you build, I am sure lots of people will chime in. 

Completely rebuilt my 402 a few years back.  As memory serves me, I tore it completely down, sent to machine shop to have hot tanked, block checked for cracks, cylinders bored, line bored, crank turned, new bearings, pistons, rings, balanced, soft plugs, mild cam and deck surfaced. The heads rebuilt (new valve springs, seats, guides (hardened), push rods, lifters, pressure checked and heads surfaced.  Basically, it was a complete overhaul bottom to top with mild cam.  The total cost to do work was around $3400.00.  I then put it all back together myself.  Additional cost for complete gasket set, paint and incidentals. 

Only for the engine, not including tranny.

Best of luck on your choice of motor.  It do make a big difference in performance!  ;)

Doug

That's impressive.  After seeing the numbers of what it will cost to build, I am going to contact a guy that has a car for sale.  It has new paint, nice interior with buckets/ console/ tach and 454 with th400 and it around the price for the engine build.  I might have my 350 car for sale soon if he still has it.

My first 496 I had about $7500.00 in it.  Cost can go either way depending on which parts you choose.  When I lost a roller lifter and went through it again, I had another $5k in it, $1k in roller lifters and $1275.00 in shaft mounted rockers alone. 

I am doing a 440 BBC. 427 .060 over. As i have it now it is gonna cost about 15k for just the parts and machine work. It all depends on what you want to do. My heads alone are about $3400. A big block is definitely more expensive than a small block but only in some areas. The guys above sound like a good guide as to a nice mild(sortof) rebuild. Biggest thing to saving on cost is doing homework on your parts. Many many many different vendors out here. Eagle does make great rotating assemblies for the money. I have a 383 SBC one in my boat and it is great for the money.