window cranks/springs/washers

Sam (Bones)

I believe the plastic washer goes against the crank and then the spring. That way when you need to remove, you can insert the tool between the crank and the washer, pushing the spring back........... 

When I removed my door panel today the spring was between the plastic washer and door like Murphy said. My spring had the large end against the door. When I got the door trim off the spring was still on the trim panel.

WOW! I just got a call from my buddy who is in the classic car business, he told me the spring goes behind the door panel, big end towards the door panel and small end against the window regulator 

he told me to take the springs outside and throw them as far as I could and forget I have ever seen them :rofl:

I would use the springs as he described not throw them out. Rattles and cold air leaks are my guess as to their benefit.

If they were not required for a good reason GM would have saved more money that we could ever dream of.

One other important item is the proper use and installation of the waterproof shield.

Don't forget the plastic washer! The crank will cut the vinyl when you crank it.

post-76-0-36196100-1422230669_thumb.jpg

If you need new plastic washers, I strongly suggest that you not buy them from OPGI. 

I made that mistake three years ago and found that the inside diameter of their washers is so large that it does not cause the washer to stay centered relative to the window crank.  Their washers hang down behind the window crank (even with springs behind them) and look like crap.  I tried to give OPGI objective feedback right after I bought their washers and they essentially told me to get lost.  When one of their executives finally forced them to look into my concerns, they openly admitted that I was absolutely right - their washers are not made to spec.

Even though they were now well aware of the problem, they said they had a life-time supply of those washers and would continue to ship them (to unsuspecting customers).  If you want some of their off-spec washers, let me know and I will send you mine.

The spring is used behind the door panel to push the panel out, against the window crank. It's to keep from having a gap between the panel and the crank. The plastic washer keeps the crank from wearing out the door panel, and the panel looks better with the spring installed. My '57s were built the same way and I know '55s were, too. I don't know what year they started this design, but it's been around a long time.

If the door panel is already installed, you can install the spring without removing the panel. Just "thread" it through the hole, small end first.

Dan

Now that I think of it, my brothers 37 Dodge has a spring behind it's door panel for the window crank.

post-76-0-47616100-1422316711_thumb.jpg

Interesting post, I don't recall how I put my spring in, I know I used it, and put it on after the door panel, I may have to pop the crank off and see now, although it probably threaded itself in like Dan said by now!

thanks dan, I was able to twist the spring in like you said  :grin:

You're welcome. Great job on the car and please keep the pics coming.

Bruce, that's a really nice looking old pickup.

Dan