Larry's 72 Inteior Redo

Leghome

Can't wait to see the finished project. I bet the interior will be amazing. Mine is pretty good except the carpet on the drivers door is coming loose. I may replace both doors. How do you get the pull straps off?

Glen,

To remove the door straps you must first remove tht brushed metal ends. They simply slide off. I say simply but that is not always the case. Dont pry them off. If you take a small wood or plastic block and place the inside edge and then tap outward on the strap covers they will slide off. Under the two metal caps are a phillips screw you will remove.

rob

Removing the screws, as Rob said, is needed, but the pull straps will still not come off. They are fastened to the door panel from the back side with 2 screws on each end, but there's no need to remove them from the door panel. The door panel will be free in that area just from removing the screws under the strap end caps.

Dan

The Legendary Interior arrived Fri and today it went to the upholstery shop for installation on the freshly painted springs. :yay:  Need the drivers seat so I can test drive for window air noise. The side glasses look like they are sealing good but until a road test one can never be sure.

Started reassembling the interior on the 72. I purchased form Legendary when I ordered the interior the jute door sound deadening material. This stuff is about 1/2" thick and I am trying to figure out how to attach it. To the door or the trim panel and with what kind of adhesive/tape or what should be used?

I called Legandary this morning and they told me to use a spray trim adhesive on the jute sound deadening material. Also picked up the plastic washers that go behind the window cranks and screws to hold the bottom of the trim panel to the door that have the small washers on them. I should be out there now working on it instead of sitting here typing this message. :)

Don't forget the water-shield paper between the door trim panel and the door. Keeps the water out so the inside of the trim panels don't get wet and warp.

Bruce

The interior is just about re installed. The only thing left is the drivers seat and I am not going to put it back in until I get the transmission shift cable problem resolved. I am going under the car tomorrow and start trying to figger out where the problem is. With the seat out it makes it a lot easier for this ole fat man to work on and around the console. It took longer to put it all back in but I added the jute sound deadening to the door trim panels and I had to slightly modify the trim panels for the clips that hold the panel to the door. All of the holes on the front edge were about 1/4" off. A good sharp utility knife and a careful cutting of the cardboard backing and it all fits very nicely. I cannot wait to get on the road and see how much quieter the car is.

post-785-0-35442500-1427839686_thumb.jpg

post-785-0-96236200-1427839702_thumb.jpg

post-785-0-47643900-1427839719_thumb.jpg

post-785-0-31498100-1427839728_thumb.jpg

post-785-0-10189800-1427839740_thumb.jpg

post-785-0-92773600-1427839751_thumb.jpg

Looks super Larry,You did well for an old guy !:-).

I just did my Turquoise monte with Legendary's Rallye sport bucket and rear seat kit and they fit great

My upholstery guy had some trouble with the seat bottoms. There was a lot of puckering on the left side of the seat and I took it back and he redid that part. He had to stuff a little more foam along that edge and pulled the material a little it is now acceptable. On the back of the bucket seats he put the metal that hold the headrest latch under the vinyl and that gave him a few problems trying to stretch the material but with the headrest in place no one sees it.