SPARE TIRE FASTENING 1971 SS 454

finnmonte71

Hi ! How spare tire should be fastened to the trunk ? I have old jack and spare tire is similar rallye wheel like others.

I have seen that spare tire is on the passengers side.Could somebody explain? Maybe its needed to weld something to bottom of the trunk ? Sorry my bad english.

Mikael

Hello, Mikael. Your English is fine. There should be a steel loop welded to the trunk floor. As you stated, it's on the passenger side. A threaded hook goes through the loop and a wing nut is used to hold everything in place. Many vendors sell these parts, if you have some missing.

Dan

post-339-0-21788200-1427487118_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-57893000-1427487166_thumb.jpg

In my 71, the tire / wheel was face down from the factory and still is. Not sure if the bolt is long enough for the wheel to face up.

Bruce

Hi, Mikael,

Your English is much better than my Finnish!!!  I have attached some photos of the spare tire positioning and fastening on my '70 SS but I think it is exactly the same on every first generation Monte.

You will need the long threaded hook seen in the first photo below which inserts into the small bracket welded to the trunk floor on the passenger side.  That hook sticks up through the center hub opening of the spare tire/wheel (note that it is carried face down) then the base of the jack goes over the threaded portion of the hook and nests down into the center hub opening of the wheel.  Finally, a wing nut is tightened down on the threaded portion of the hook to snug and hold everything in place.

The jack, bumper hook and lug wrench all go in place before the spare tire goes in and lay on the bottom of the trunk deck with the ends of the jack positioned into the two sheet metal brackets that are welded onto the trunk floor (the plastic jack pan is actually a '72 Monte feature, but I like it, also).  You can cover your spare with a spare tire cover that matches the trunk mat - both are widely available as reproduction items.  You can also freshen up your trunk floor with matching spatter paint.  I used Dupli-color brand in the turquoise/black mix.  It matches perfectly and is much less expensive than the original GM paint.  Good luck with your project.

post-567-0-83631300-1427489215_thumb.jpg

post-567-0-98737700-1427489230_thumb.jpg

post-567-0-70034400-1427489252_thumb.jpg

post-567-0-81488300-1427489267_thumb.jpg

post-567-0-81081300-1427489304_thumb.jpg

post-567-0-73510500-1427489352_thumb.jpg

Yes, the inside of the wheel should be up, like the drawing shows. The j/bolt (hook) is not long enough, if the wheel is turned outside up.

Dan

Thanks, Bob!  Yes, I completely refurbished the trunk soon after I bought my '70 SS about three years ago.  I bought the car from photos and talking to the owner so you can imagine my surprise and disappointment when I opened the trunk and saw the condition of the trunk (see first photo below).

The tire was the wrong size, the rally rim had holes drilled all around the edge for screws to hold a drag radial in place, the jack was rusted/oxidized and the spongy backing of the trunk mat had flaked off and/or glued itself to the trunk floor.  It was a mess ...

After thoroughly scraping the trunk floor, vacuuming it and scrubbing it with solvent, I sprayed it with 2 cans of Duplicolor D109 black/aqua spatter paint.  I picked it up at a local auto parts store, but I think even Wal Mart carries it now.  

The jack and accessories got the wire wheel treatment and Rustoleum Semi-gloss black.  A new trunk mat, spare tire cover and jacking instruction decal came from the Parts Place.  I had some Argent Silver mixed at a local paint store for the rim and picked up a good used 245-60X15 spare at a local tire shop.  It was a straightforward project that came out fairly well.

post-567-0-02897900-1427498172_thumb.jpg

post-567-0-92432000-1427498212_thumb.jpg

I just used the paint, Bob.  I'm sure the clear adds some protection, but unless you use a mat finish, I think it changes the factory look.

• 1 month later...