Rear End Fitment

Droff

I've been casually looking for a different rear end for my '70 (along with many other things).

I found one local out of a Chevelle, with 3:73 gears, but has a sheared off yoke, for $50.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pts/5032329088.html

First - Will this fit a Monte?

Second - Any input on cost to repair the yoke?

Third - Any input on cost to add posi?

Thanks!

the yolk didn't shear off, the pinion gear did!

the ring and pinion gears will have to be replaced too, more than likely the axles too

IF! the housing wasn't damaged, that's about the only thing salvageable 

• 8 months later...

Another rear end fitment question as I'm still looking around. I ran across an A-body 3 series carrier. This should fit into the '70, correct?

All brake parts should be able to be taken from my 2 series carrier and installed on this 3 series carrier, correct?

Any thoughts on the cost of this one? Reasonable?

http://salina.craigslist.org/pts/5414243473.html

It will fit but it isn't desirable hence the 300 dollar price for a 800 dollar rear end if it was a Chevy 12 bolt. Your brake parts will bolt on if you do move on it but I would do a cover off inspection to verify it's condition, any rust on the ring or pinion and it will be a screamer, literally.

In todays market you will be money ahead to buy a complete new rear end from Moser or Strange and end up with a far better product. I selected the S60 from Strange for my car.

post-497-0-06859000-1455715517_thumb.jpg

If that is the rear end you want I would look at the aftermarket to see what parts are available for a BOP 12 bolt. I know someone who had a BOP 10 bolt and finding parts for it was a bear as nothing from his 10 bolt Chevy would work. And the cost for a 12 bolt Chevy used is high with good parts https://portland.cra...5451356973.html . The Ford 9" is a popular rear end and the center section comes out the front with all the gears. Here is a complete 9" rear http://www.swracecars.com/store/64-77-CHEVELLE-MONTE-CARLO-COMPLETE-9FORD-BIG-BEARING-BOLT-IN-REAR-OSCARItem_432=45-618.aspx

I have one of their fab rear ends in my 72.

That is not a bad price on the 12 bolt considering what is done to it. I replaced my 12 bolt because I found a code and date correct rear end. I paid 1300.00 for the rear end then had it rebuilt. I probably have too much in it but I am a purist, I like original.

John S

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you go the original housing route pay attention to the area where the tubes are pressed into the center section, I have been finding a lot of them starting to weep lube and if someone welds them to stop the leak without a jig they will warp the housing.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking into a different rear end again, I ran across one from a '71 Chevelle with 3.08 gears in it. I have no idea on condition at this point, but with this carrier, can I change gears and put 3.55 or 3.73 gears in it?

Just want to make sure that I can go with 3.XX gears (other than 3.08)  in this before I really start sniffing after it.

Thanks!

make sure on what you are buying, the 3.08 gear was usually a BOP axle gear, Chevy didn't really use that gear much and when they did, is was a BOP axle (Buick Oldmobile Pontiac)

make sure on what you are buying, the 3.08 gear was usually a BOP axle gear, Chevy didn't really use that gear much and when they did, is was a BOP axle (Buick Oldmobile Pontiac)

Thanks for that info Sam. Other than possibly not being an original Chevy rear, would there be any other concerns with a BOP rear?

If it is a BOP, then the guy doesn't really know what he's selling......

The BOP rear end in my Monte is a 8.2 instead of an 8.5. The only reason I know this is because I got all of the receipts from the guy I bought it from and he had a receipt for both and a return authorization for the 8.5 3:73 posi gears.

It appears to be a Chevy, it's a 10 bolt, 8.2". I can get 3.30's and up to 3.70's in it, (wouldn't wan anything lower) just not sure on durability.

He's at $400 on it.

308%20Rear.jpg