car only starts w/jump start

abe72

Hello all,

I'm having trouble maintaining a charge in my battery. Once I get the car started with a jumpstart, everything seems to be working okay until i apply the breaks and or turn on my lights. The radio loses power momentarily then returns until the breaks are applied again. If I turn off the car it wont start without a jumpstart. I've checked the battery and had the alternator rebuilt thinking that could've been the problem.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

How old is the battery? did you load test it? I had a simmilar problem with mine, battery tested good but failed load test. Put in new one and has been great since.

Battery is about year a half maybe longer, not very old. When the battery was tested it only read 10 volts while the car was running. Could that be the issue?

Yea 10 volts while running is to low. does it still have external regulator? or has it been switched over to internal? If its external it will be on the core suppore behind the drivers side headlight on motor side of core support, if its internal its inside the alt. sounds like its not charging.

Yea 10 volts while running is to low. does it still have external regulator? or has it been switched over to internal? If its external it will be on the core suppore behind the drivers side headlight on motor side of core support, if its internal its inside the alt. sounds like its not charging.

Still has the external regulator. Thanks on the location.

you should see around 14.5 volts if the alternator is charging properly. Try pulling the ground wire off the battery with the engine running and see if it stalls out. 

Okay, what would it mean if it stalls out or not?

If it stalls out it is not charging, if I remember correctly take a voltage reading at the terminal where the red wire comes out of alt and see how much voltage is there. If its a low # it alt.if high #its the regulator. I'm pretty sure thats it maybe someone can verify that its been a while.  regulators are fairly cheep and available almost everywhere.

That's about exactly what my car was doing on the way home from a eastern meet a few years back. Was charging fine then when I turned on lights it went down to about 10 volts. That's a very cheap fix to replace the regulator. I brought the alternator with me to the parts store and they tested it. Came up fine.

I believe the regulator was under$20

i had a similiar issue as well. I would replace the regulator, then the alternator would go, then one headlight then the other. I chased some serious electrical down all summer when i probably should of just rewired the car. 

Long story short i end up making one huge ground loop ( battery-block-tranny-frame) and low and behold not a charging problem since. 

Follow up:

Replaced the battery cause it wouldn't hold a charge anymore, while at the store thought about it and bought a voltage regulator and replace it as well. Got all connected and fired right up. good, no dimming of lights or any other issues.

Started it this morning and the Gen light comes on!!!! WTH? Light stays on until the rpms are increased then the light goes off and stays off until the next start. Had it checked and was told the alternator was bad, again? Does this sound right? Just had the alternator rebuilt this week.

That could be Abe. A bad voltage regulator can cause other problems. At one time I built and rebuilt Alternators for GM here in Anderson Indiana. I do not remember a bad regulator causing the alternator to go bad but nothing is impossible. 

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up:  Contacted the vendor that I purchashed the alternater from and he agreed to exchange it for a new one. Installed it, tested it and the amps/volts  are at about 14.5 running. Haven't had any issues since. Guessing it was a bad alternater all along (keeping fingers crossed).

Thanks to everyone for your responses and suggestions.

• Like 1