Rebuilding TH350?

Guys, am asking for your opinion/feedback as I took my Monte in for transmission diagnosis as reverse wasn't working even though the dipstick shows its full of fluid.

After tech tested and took out pan, he said there were debris in the pan and needs rebuilt for around $1200. Does that sound right as the transmission shop have best reputation in town?

Should I opt to replace the transmission with overdrive as I don't know how much it would cost?

Rick

Yep....I would move up to something with overdrive before I invested $1200 in old technology. You can. Get a 700r4 and be much better off. I will someday put one in my car. Of coarse if you want to keep it original than a Rebuild would be your option.

Thanks guys as you confirmed my hesitation on rebuild it, any good source on 700R4?

The first gear works quite well as tech said fluid was low due to leak which caused low pressure for reverse to work which tech tightened. I think I will keep using TH350 until it stops working, is that a good idea or not?

If there was debris in the pan there is a good chance that its in the trans cooler as well. Did the shop flush out the lines? or just put the pan back on it and add fluid?

As for a good source there is alot of choices the made thing with a 700r4 is getting the TV cable set correctly or you will burn it up quick. I personal have a bowtie overdrive stage 2 700r4 which they claim to handle 450HP. A 200r4 is a direct bolt in to a 350th and the gears inside are closer together. The 700r4 has a high gear 3.06, and depending on your rear gear and HP level you might like that. For me I have 2.73 gear running a 26" tall tire with the 700r4 I turn less then 2k RPM's and my stall is 2k-2200 and that's behind a big block.

They are waiting on my decison to rebuild or put pan back in so I can bring it home. Would I be able to flush lines myself as they found radiator leaking that I plan to replace the radiator myself as I believe the Trans cooler is built in the radiator?

It looks like a 200R4 is in my future plans since it's a direct fit?

If you are going to replace the radiator down the road then I wouldn't worry about doing the flush. That's the way I would go if I was doing it again oh wait I have the 72 waiting. The 700r4 will fit, you just have to get the drive shaft shorten and move the trans cross member back. If you go with the 700r4 ask for a 350th front yolk as its stronger then the 700r4 yolk. The 200r4 will use the same length drive shaft as the 350th and the cross member doesn't have to be move back.

The 200r4 has a closer gearing from 1st 2.74 2nd 1.57 3rd 1 with OD being .67, the 700r4 has a 3.06 1st gear then it jumps down to a 2 something 2nd gear and 3rd is 1 with OD being .70. With the OD you would need to get a new lens if you have a floor shifter that has OD between N and 3rd it also comes with the shifter notch plate.

I had one person on Facebook today say drive it vs the trailer local shows it gets driven all the time and the last time I check MPG it was 13.5 with timing and the carb being set wrong. Right now I have a Q-jet on it so it should get a better MPG. But even at 13.5MPG aint bad for the size of the car. I will be joining the rest of the members at Carlisle tomorrow with my 70.

It looks like a good trans for a rebuild, but you never know until you open it up. If it has broken or rusted hard parts, (planetary gears, pump, etc.) you might end up spending more to rebuild than to just buy a refurbished unit from Summit Racing or Jegs. If you do end up buying the core, make sure it was stored indoors and not full of water from sitting outside. Had this problem with my first core purchased, $125 wasted  :doh:

Does the car have a column or floor shift? Trying to answer the question about how it affects the P-R-N-1-2-3 positions... I kept my original column shift when I first changed to the 200-4r and just had to count the positions. They make a shift detent plate and indicator for the 4 speed automatic consoles, which I swapped and everything lines up just right. Now it looks like a factory 4 speed auto console, at least to me.

Oh, and im getting about 17.5mpg with a basically stock 350 and 3.73 posi gears... and the car is quite responsive due to the gearing. Feels faster than it is.

There is a new top plate available with the correct marking for the overdrive transmissions, as well as a detent plate you can replace your current detent plate with to make the 4 speed auto work like it was meant to be there. Shiftworks is one vendor if I recall correctly.

That 3.06 first gear of the 700R4 will make you think that you doubled the horsepower of your engine.  And the .70 overdrive will let you idle on the freeway. 

I put one in my '67 behind a stock small block while I was building up a small block 400 for it...  and never did drop the 400 into the car.   The 700R4 transformed the docile motor into a tire-shredder, and I still got just over 20 mpg any time that I cleared the city limits sign.   With it, you have the best of both worlds.

Doug

• Like 1

That's why most cars and trucks built since the mid 80's have overdrive transmissions.

If / when my THM-350 dies I will upgrade to an OD.

Bruce

Steve, the TH200 is basically just a 350 with all of its internals whittled down to the point that even the mildest of small blocks will break them.  They came out in the early seventies to lighten up vehicles for better fuel economy.  They were literally a 90 lb weakling!   At the end of the seventies and mid-eighties, (in the last years that they were produced) they were given the lock-up torque converter feature to enhance the fuel savings even more, but they remained a three-speed. 

Rick, please run...  rather than walk away from this transmission!!  LOL!!!

The General then added a 4th gear and also beefed some of the innards back up to create the 200-4R.   The TH375 was just a Turbo 400 with a 27 spline output shaft that would mate up to the TH350 style slip yoke.

Doug

Wasn't the turbo 200 originally built for the Chevette? I had a 77 Bonneville that had that tranny and I pulled a Coleman pop up camper with it and the tranny went kaput.

The original 200 was not very good and has a poor reputation. The 200 4R is different and IS a very very good trans and one I would use.

Be careful what one you get. 

Bruce