Cluster removal

South Carolina 72

I need to remove my cluster in my 72 to replace some burned out bulbs, get the clock fixed and I will replace the circuit board while I have it out. I sure some members have done this before, looking for tips, do's and dont's and anything that I should look out for when doing this. Thanks!!

Dave

If you are putting LED's in the cluster test them before putting the dash back in as they need to go in one way. As for the clock make sure the battery is disconnected as it has juice on it all the time. on the PCB make sure you order one that is right for your cluster some books use to list both the gauge style PCB and the light PCB has being the same and for some reason the dummy light PCB cost about $15 more then the gauge PCB. Get some long bolts same size as the corner bolts and you slide the dash back far enough to pull the cluster. Take a look at your lens on the cluster as now is a good time to clean it with buffing compound.

Hi Dave....I asked the same question back in 2012 before pulling my cluster. Here's the thread to check out....

http://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8074-pulling-cluster-assistance-needed/?hl=%2Bcluster+%2Bremoval&do=findComment&comment=96372

Just take your time and be gentle with stuff. The plastic can be pretty brittle after 40 years. :)

When I replaced my heater core (non A/C) several years ago it snowballed. I had my clock repaired with a quartz movement that is now a little bit noisy.

I took lot's of pictures that may help.

#1 if it is a column shift, remove the shift indicator cable (tiny wire) or you will break it!

Here is a link to the pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/110808817090254771768/HeaterCoreReplacement?authuser=0&feat=directlink