Original tires on 70 SS

Aaronz28

well - the reason i asked - 

i took delivery of a 70SS today -   car is damn nice - but previous owner put 15x8 on all four corners with 235x60 R15 -    

which means, any more than 1/2 a turn of the wheel, and the tire was rubbing on the inner fender bolts -   

i can't for the life of me see how he drove it -  

anyhow -  in order for me to drive it -  i had to take the rear wheels of my 69 Camaro and put them on the front -   looked a little goofy with bias ply up front and big [censored] radials out back...

but i love the look of vintage RWL on a rally  - 

i might have to break the rule !

On my white 70 (350 2v)  i put the 70 Z28/71-2 CHevelle SS wheels on with red lines and thought it looked killer -   i just might put those on this car - 

post-910-0-02234400-1446604809_thumb.jpg

post-910-0-22447200-1446605341_thumb.jpg

post-910-0-35439700-1446605355_thumb.jpg

Aaron, it sounds to me like the front springs have sagged. My 70 is at stock height (new OEM springs) with 15x8 rallys and 245/60/15 tires and no rubbing even when I'm in full steering and go over a bump. These wheels rub when I put them on my 71 since it sits lower on its original springs. You can see the difference in height in my signature photo below.

Well although they are not The Original tire sold on our Monte's I am going with a G70-15 that was sold on our cars but not a whitewall but rather as mentioned the Wide Oval O raised white letters.  I ran a set of original Bias ply ones on my 70 chevelle LS5 and drove like a bag of ____. 

so This time I am going with the Radial ones but have the Bias ply appearance in tread and will see what they are like. I also love the whitewalls as I ran them on the 70 Convertible Monte and looked good but I wanted a sport look or Muscle car look so going to try these.

Darren.

Monte_Carlo_454_15_zpsz9zmpdsh.jpg

hrdp_1104_03_oken_lingenfelters_1971_che

hrdp_1104_08_oken_lingenfelters_1971_che

Well although they are not The Original tire sold on our Monte's I am going with a G70-15 that was sold on our cars but not a whitewall but rather as mentioned the Wide Oval O raised white letters.  I ran a set of original Bias ply ones on my 70 chevelle LS5 and drove like a bag of ____. 

so This time I am going with the Radial ones but have the Bias ply appearance in tread and will see what they are like. I also love the whitewalls as I ran them on the 70 Convertible Monte and looked good but I wanted a sport look or Muscle car look so going to try these.

Darren.

Monte_Carlo_454_15_zpsz9zmpdsh.jpg

hrdp_1104_03_oken_lingenfelters_1971_che

hrdp_1104_08_oken_lingenfelters_1971_che

so Darren,  those Firestone Wide Ovals are the coker bias ply right?  -  i'm not sure i followed -  you said something about the bias ply look on the modern tire..... confused

• Like 1

I have heard stories of cars not driving well on bias tires. I wonder if alignment shops understand that the alignment specifications are different between radial tires and bias ply. This was the premise of Pontiac "Radial Tuned Suspension" in the 70s. 

When we brought our 66 Galaxie home, the car had radials and wandered all over the road. Replaced them with the correct bias tires and now dives straight as an arrow.

so Darren,  those Firestone Wide Ovals are the coker bias ply right?  -  i'm not sure i followed -  you said something about the bias ply look on the modern tire..... confused

Yes, they are like a Wolf in Sheeps clothing as they say. They have the true complete Bias Ply look and appearance even down to the shoulder but the insides are modern Radial design.

Quoted from Coker

"The true vintage-style tread pattern give this tire the original look, while the steel belted radial internals make it the perfect choice for a car that will see plenty of miles. Coker uses radial construction that improves handling and ride quality compared to bias ply originals."

Darren

Yes, they are like a Wolf in Sheeps clothing as they say. They have the true complete Bias Ply look and appearance even down to the shoulder but the insides are modern Radial design.

Quoted from Coker

"The true vintage-style tread pattern give this tire the original look, while the steel belted radial internals make it the perfect choice for a car that will see plenty of miles. Coker uses radial construction that improves handling and ride quality compared to bias ply originals."

Darren

Darren, unfortunately the only tires that Coker does like that are the black wall, and the large white was (rim to road)   the WideOvals are not available in anything other than Bias ply construction :(    i just got off the horn with them -   the Coker bias plys ride like crap -  the Kelsey tire goodyears are far more friendly as far my money is concerned -  cheers 

Darren, unfortunately the only tires that Coker does like that are the black wall, and the large white was (rim to road)   the WideOvals are not available in anything other than Bias ply construction :(    i just got off the horn with them -   the Coker bias plys ride like crap -  the Kelsey tire goodyears are far more friendly as far my money is concerned -  cheers 

I just searched a little but I don't see a G70-15 or equivalent 225-70-15 pinstripe whitewall by Kelsey Goodyear. :(

I just searched a little but I don't see a G70-15 or equivalent 225-70-15 pinstripe whitewall by Kelsey Goodyear. :(

i'm fully planning to put RWL Goodyear Polyglass GT on this car... i love the old school RWL look -  i'd actually go Firestone Wide Oval - but i know from 1st hand experience that the Coker bias ply ride like crap and wander all over -  the Kelsey Goodyears I have on my cars now are great.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Cooper tires new in April 2007, as did Capri, she is the one who told me about them. I was told they no longer make them.

Added the year I bought them 2007, also I got them from Diamond back tire in SC BUT they didn't stock them but bought them from a competitor in town, shaved of the ugly giant black COOPER billboard lettering then shipped them to me for just a few bucks more than from my local Cooper dealer. Diamond back was GREAT to work with.

http://www.dbtires.com/

I E-Mailed Diamond back and here is their reply:

We custom add whitewalls to modern radials at the time of order, so thin whitewalls are not a problem.
The G70R15 is replace with a 225/70R15 in a modern radial.

We are running a special in December for our DB V model for $179 each plus shipping. 

We use Cooper private label (generic brand) for our LS 5 model, a 225/70R15 is $229 each (A $50 discount per set of four).

Our most popular tire is our DB II model (Toyo Tire).   The 225/70R15 with a narrow Whitewall is $239 each plus shipping (a $50 discount per set of 4). 
  • Like 1