Good all around gear ratio for 454/TH400?

Grapejuice1998

How tall are your rear tires?

If they are 27" that would show you have maybe a 4.56 gear...which is way steep.

I am pretty sure 3.55's are a Ford gear ratio. A GM comparable would like a 3.31 or 3.42.

Do you ever plan on an overdrive?

• Like 1

I'm sure many various ratios have been tried in our SS454s but I have only heard of two being shipped from the factory: either a 2.56 or a 3.31.

My '70 has the 2.56 and the best thing I can say about it is that it makes a good low rpm cruiser, even with 245/60s.

On the other hand, I wouldn't consider anything steeper than a 3.31 for street/highway use and then I would run a 28" tall tire like a 275/60-15.

My SS454 Monte 

I just noticed the SS part...are you keeping it original? Then the overdrive I previously mentioned is out the window.

Sorry to be late getting back to the thread, but I have red each reply.

I'll take a video and post it, of the rpms at 70mph (which I have verified with gps).

The rear tires are 235/70/15.

I tried marking the tire and counting the driveshaft rotations vs 1 revolution of the tire. It came out about 3.75:1. Not sure if that's accurate, but I can't believe a set of 3.73 would run 4k at 70.

I'll take a video and post it, of the rpms at 70mph (which I have verified with gps).

The rear tires are 235/70/15.

I tried marking the tire and counting the driveshaft rotations vs 1 revolution of the tire. It came out about 3.75:1. Not sure if that's accurate, but I can't believe a set of 3.73 would run 4k at 70.

Speedometer not work?

That would be a 28" tall tire.

If you did it correctly and it came out to 3.73 (which it sounds like you did) yes it is impossible to be revving at 4k.

So either your GPS is not accurate, you messed up on the old school way of measuring the gears, your tach is not working properly, or your transmission is slipping bad.

if it is a factory dash tach...I have seen many, many, many of them way!!!! off

a 28" tire and a 3.73 at 70 should be in the neighborhood of 3400 rpm, so 4000 on a factory tach doesn't surprise me

Speedometer not work?

That would be a 28" tall tire.

If you did it correctly and it came out to 3.73 (which it sounds like you did) yes it is impossible to be revving at 4k.

So either your GPS is not accurate, you messed up on the old school way of measuring the gears, your tach is not working properly, or your transmission is slipping bad.

The speedometer works. I just verified it's accuracy with my gps app.

hello all,

i thought i had 2.73 gears ?  in my 1970 ss. i put in 3.73 ( like most chevelles ) i run at 60 mph and the tach is 3,000 . it sounds great and the stock cam is by the power curve . i have b p goodrich p225/70r15 m+s tires on the stock rims. the last time i went 70 mph i want to say the tach was almost 3600 to 4000 rpm.  i think if you put in a 700r4 the rpm goes down 1,000 rpm ?. i want to keep mine all stock looking  so i have the turbo 400.

I have 3.73's  with 28" tires, th350,  and at 70 mph my autometer tach reads right at 3400. Could be a inefficient/ incorrect converter. Like Sam stated the factory tach could be well off. Hook up a temporary tach to confirm the rpm.

David

I had3.31 when I bought it then dropped 4.10's in when I raced it then changed to 3.73's when I put it back on th street and last summer I installed the S60 with 3.55, I like the 3.55 the best

post-497-0-26638300-1459056852_thumb.jpg

I have 3.73's  with 28" tires, th350,  and at 70 mph my autometer tach reads right at 3400. Could be a inefficient/ incorrect converter. Like Sam stated the factory tach could be well off. Hook up a temporary tach to confirm the rpm.

David

It sure sounds like 4k though!

After talking with a fellow who owns a 69 Chevelle SS, he said his tachs about 3,800 @ 70 with 3.73's.

I can not remember what my 4.11 with a 28" tall tire turns at 70 but at 60 I think it is around 3200/3300 with a non lock up converter. I have a gearvendors overdrive on the back of my TH400 so it has been awhile since I turned it off to see what it would be.

I can not remember what my 4.11 with a 28" tall tire turns at 70 but at 60 I think it is around 3200/3300 with a non lock up converter. I have a gearvendors overdrive on the back of my TH400 so it has been awhile since I turned it off to see what it would be.

I would love to hear more about the GV o/d installation. Do you have a thread about it?

My computer crashes in minutes of turning it on anymore...I had some links for you but lost them when it shut off on me just now. Do an advanced search typing in Gear Vendors and put 502ci in as the author and just hit search. A bunch of threads came up, you just got to scroll through them and look for my posts.

I am using my cell phone right now and typing on it is brutal for me, lol.

• Like 1