my gear vendors install adventure....

bigscaht

so mu gear vendors unite arrived last Friday but I didn't get started working on it till Monday....keep in mind that per their instaliation instructions...a gm A body is the only gm  vehicle where tunnel mods are necessary (ie banging on the tunnel to clear). I found out real quick that laying on your back banging on a tranny tunnel is not fun at all and is also a long process so I decided to cut the tunnel...that way I get to do a lil welding later on...anyway heres some progress pics to where I am so far

IMG_20160404_224043_zpstoeqjcrr.jpg

20160404_200054_zpssxyx88in.jpg

then I had to get creative cuz that unit is very heavy,,,heavier than a starter around 35lbs

IMG_20160405_173030_zpsa0xvp6uh.jpg

too bad I will have to take it backout to weld up the tunnel and paint the under side of the tunnel but ive figured out how to get it in and out without the hoist...still trying to figure out a way to get around taking it out to paint the metal patch...might jus paint it before I weld it in

20160405_215846_zpsilie7cgh.jpg

here the unit is installed and tranny mount back in place...their customer service is great. I called because the speedo cable will hit the brace and they are gonna send me a 90* elbow adapter for free...

20160405_215915_zpslhr9al9t.jpg

now I really cant wait to get back on the road and play with this thing.........

• Like 2

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the pics and update.  I've been thinking about doing the same thing on one of my Montes.  Am I correct in assuming that the original tail shaft is swapped out and then the new unit is bolted to the original trans housing?  Did you purchase a shorter driveshaft with the overdrive unit?  I guess I better do some more research on these.  Be sure to post some finished pics and let me know your tips and impressions after you are done.

Thanks!!
Mike

Scott, which tranny is this mating to?  I was researching the other day on the GV site for the unit that marries up to my M20...........Very enticing!

Scott, which tranny is this mating to?  I was researching the other day on the GV site for the unit that marries up to my M20...........Very enticing!

What rear gear are you running in your '71, Murray?

Mike...yes the tail shaft housing gts replaced by the GV adapter then the gv unit bolts to the adapter and im getting my drive shaft shortened...they do not sell drive shafts...that's on you to get done. but your assumption is correct.

Murphy...im running a th350 but they offer adapters for just about any rear wheel drive tranny gm makes....when you order it jus tell them what trans,rear gear, and tire size your running and they send you what you need. I think the gv unit woud be very fun with a stick..

I will be sure to update this post as the install goes...

that what im running...3:42s out back with a th350 and this Gv unit..is gonna make a pretty good drive train....see how long the tranny last cuz it looks like thats the weak point for now........

• 2 weeks later...

heres how I had to modify the floor brace to fit the gear vendors unit up in the tunnel as to avoid driveline angle issues

IMG_20160421_000153_zpsea2brnyu.jpg

these two bolts on top of the unit are the reason it dosent want to fit...

20160419_002609_zps77awbeal.jpg

but its in there now...now to figure out how to get the speedo cable to connect..

20160416_195312_zpsrzoj8hsk.jpg

looks like I might have to modify the brace in this location as well.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

well the unit is in for good now....no more cutting..

20160505_182710_zps3ifunezf.jpg

heres how i solved the speedo problem

20160505_183410_zpsxsurdlwj.jpg

and this weeknd ill get this hole closed up...

20160505_193518_zpsh6ujmdyc.jpg

drive shaft should be done by tuesday...then its test time.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

picking the driveshaft up today so I can fill the unit up with fluid and try it out. I measured wrong the first time...glad it was still to long instead of too short so I had to take it back and have them take another 1.5 inches off..

fingers crossed on my 2nd try...

picking the driveshaft up today so I can fill the unit up with fluid and try it out. I measured wrong the first time...glad it was still to long instead of too short so I had to take it back and have them take another 1.5 inches off..

fingers crossed on my 2nd try...

You did measure it with the full weight on the suspension right?

yeah..i had the rear up on jack stands and the front up on jack stands as well...smh....unfortunately now my drive shaft is too short...i cant win..so no i will have to get a whole new drive shaft. glad summit sells drive shaft kits and i finally have the measurement that i need to make it work...smh...this gives me a chance to get a brand new drive shaft tho..i guess thats a good thing as i can go bigger than stock..was thinking 3" since it will fit.

the stock u joints on out montes are 1310 style right