preferred BB heads?

Murphy

Started looking at several big block options (454) which heads would be preferred for a street car?

I know of several 402 options which are very promising but the cost of rebuild to my liking....just as well do a 454.

• Like 1

I believe the 781 heads with the larger 219/188 valves are what I used to have and I believe they were the preferred stock oval port.  I now have aluminum but those were good. Wish I kept them, sold them a while ago. 

Murray,

I just sent you an email with an attached Word file that lists all Chevy Big Block Cylinder Head ID Codes.  Hope it helps as a starting point. Are you looking for a year-specific 454 or are you open as to the vintage?

I'm pretty open to all recommendations. I spent a year researching & aqquiring parts for the 4speed conversion and it came out beautifully. My 355 is really solid and instead of messing with it, I've decided to build a BBC. I have lots of parts to choose from here locally so I just need a little insight. Not building a strip car just a killer street car.

049 & 781's are my perfered choices, I favor the 049's over the 781's, you won't need to install larger valves for what you are trying to accomplish, actually the smaller valves will probably build better low end torque and the bigger valves aren't really ness until you start pulling 6000+ rpm

Murphy:

Ditto what Sam says. Strongly recommended.  

To add...the 781's are a newer version of the 049's and virtually identical.

The 781's & 049's have a rather large combustion chamber (part of what makes them breath so well).  I think they claim anywhere from 118 cc to 125 cc depending on the source. My 781's averaged out at 124 cc. I run a domed piston (22 cc I believe) just to get 9.4:1 in my .030 over 454. 781 & 049's are plentiful & can still be had pretty reasonably but getting them cc'd is a must if you want to maximize your build.

Lots of good aluminum heads out there too if you want to save some weight & take advantage of newer technology.  AFR's are probably some of the best but come with the price tag.  Brodix Race Rites are a good choice as they keep all the OEM configurations and accessory holes.

But here's the best advice I can give you....Be careful not to get drawn into the "Bigger is Better" crowd. Know what you want to accomplish & put together a "combination" of parts that all work together, not just the biggest stuff listed in the catalog. 

Have fun & keep us posted...big block torque is addictive!

Scott

well the set of 781's I have were only 113 CCs, same withe the 049 I have

I had the 781's shaved down to 108 CCs running a 13.8 cc dome, block decked to approx .010 and a .039 head gasket puts me at a true 10:1

if I was to do it again, I would just buy the race rites with the 2.19 intake valves, I sunk $1100 into my 781's

Murphy....be careful with 1st gear!!! if I stab it...it snaps to 6000 rpm in a blink of an eye! even with drag radials in it :shifter: your tires won't have a chance :D

• Like 1