BLACK PAINT BELOW DOOR & SIDE TRIM?

JUBAL

I can't see most photos well, but some cars show body color below the side trim, and some show a semi-gloss black.  My car has black on the sill and below the trim.  My paint man questioned the originality.  What is correct for a 72?  Thanks for your help.

As far as I know, all first gen Monte Carlos had semi-gloss paint under the trim other than factory black cars.  It makes the trim blend in as one piece rather than multiple pieces.  Of course, sometimes what is considered correct at one factory may not be the same at another.  Someone with a factory assembly or body manual may know, I'm not able to get to mine for a few weeks.

Jubal, welcome to the site. As stated above, the black on the sills, rockers, and lower fenders is original. If you look at the lower trim on each end of the car, you'll see those are made to look like the other pieces that go between the tires, if the black and the long rocker trim is there. Some decide to not do as the factory did when they repaint and just leave those areas body color. To me, it stands out as unfinished. I notice it quickly when I see a Monte. Some others seem to like it, but I painted mine black.

All 3 years were done the same.

Dan

post-339-0-66022600-1488929633_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-23126400-1488938890_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

My black 71, built in Oshawa, is also blacked out in these areas. Great pictures Dan!

Bruce 

Thanks to all for the replies.  I can tell the painter it has to be black.  He did not like the additional work he said he did not see.

Jerry, welcome to the site.  We hope you like what you see here and decide to become a full fledged dues paying member and join us at one of our meets.  There will be a number of our members attending my Chevrolet Nationals meet in Carlisle Pa in June.  Any dues paying member can join us for the festivities so you should jump across the border and join us for a great show.

rob

Thanks for the invitation.  At the rate I'm going, June may be a long shot.  It will be just a driver (but with working air!).

post-5890-0-93825600-1489285374_thumb.jpg