stuck in park

Riznitch

well the monte finally left me stranded. at least i was at work. anyhow, car ran great all the way to work but, at the end of the day i hop in it and it wont come out of park. i pulled the floor console to see if the shifter was malfunctioning but it was releasing. i tried to rock it to see if it would pop out of park but no luck.its a 72 th350. tell me something that will be an easy fix. smile

I had the same problem with one a few years back.

It was the shifter cable, it worked fine then just froze up.

Unhook the cable from the trans linkage and see if you can shift the trans by hand, If you can it's most likely the cable. Also try to move shifter if cable is bad it will not move. Make sure you apply emergency brake or block tires so it don't roll over you.

Good Luck with fix !!!

I don't know much about the Console shifters but in the column shifters the shifter can not be moved out of the park position unless the key is out of the lock position. Since this was a safety feature I would have to assume that this would be true for the console shifter. I would assume there would be some type of cable or electric solenoid lock on the shifter but my bet would be with a cable type lock.

Again, I don't know this for sure and I am just guessing but it seems logical.

Rob

Rob is pretty close, there is a "back drive rod" that hooks to the gear selector shaft on the transmission, goes to a swivel bracket on the frame just below the e-brake, then up to the steering column. If you watch the column (where a column mount shifter would be) as you shift, you should see it move. It is what makes the steering wheel/ shifter lock system work. Could have trouble there. When you turn the key to start position, is the steering wheel free to turn?

Thanks for the tips. I should have time to check it out tomorrow and see if any of your ideas lead anywhere.RichG, hey man im from west chester, PA. nice to see a local on the FGMCC.I'm military so, im hanging out in vegas right now.

Hey Riz, West Chester huh? I work in Exton and live outside Coatesville. Maybe Chester County is getting more popular with the FGMC's laugh

And RichG... finally making progress on the car, Ill be in touch soon.

Tony

well i disconnected the shifter cable and was able to put the car in gear by turning the steering column. even with the cable disconnected i still cant shift so, i'll try and see if the shift handle is malfunctioning or if the cable just froze up. cant see why it would just freeze up though.

That's what happened to mine even after I removed the cable I couldn't get it to move, If you can try to get a genuine GM cable the aftermarket one's don't adjust very good. I bought one for mine and I could not get the cable to adjust for low gear and had too much at the park side.

Bought a genuine GM cable on E bay Fit perfect.

if you do not have a good body to frame ground, the shifter cable will act like one, and weld itself together eek

I've personally see this a few times

Now you got me thinking, My cable froze up when the front clip was off the car and still had the battery hooked up. So the ground wire was not hooked to passenger fender.

All was good before then.

if you do not have a good body to frame ground, the shifter cable will act like one, and weld itself together eek

I've personally see this a few times

Could this happen with the e-brake cable also? Mine is stuck hard. mad

Tony

I made a ground out of a battery cable, hooked from the engine block to the body to make sure there was an GOOD ground, since the battery ground is hooked to the engine, it only made sense

Now I have a reason to go to the parts store and hang out in the garage all night laugh

lmao.gif you must be married

don't take me seriously, just poking some fun wink

Oh Yeah !!

My wife is cool she encourages my toy habbits !!

Stopped at the liquor store on the way back from the parts store party

The brake has nothing to do with shifter as far as I know. That technology did not show up until the 90's.

Did you check the cable ? if you unhook it from trans and shifter you should be able to move it back and forth by hand.

E bay where else

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-1972...sspagenameZWD1V

If you keep an eye out you might find one cheaper on e bay. The cables are the same for chevelle floor shift cars. Like I said in an earlier post I bought an aftermarket cable but it was crap so I bought a gm cable and all is good. Like the saying goes ( you get what you pay for )