Matching Numbers Or NOT???

kbuckz06

We need to see the vin number in the windshield area to determine that. 

Your other post in the General area has some activity on it you might want to go check but the Vin is what's needed to verify what you are looking for.

Your first pic is the "trim tag" it only shows paint codes and what trim is on the car. 

Steve

Yes, Ken, "CNI" is the correct engine code for a 1970 350 ci 250 hp with manual transmission and 2 bbl carb.

That transmission has clearly been stamped with two separate date codes:

P8H09A = Muncie, 1968, June, 9th day, M20 (2.52:1 1st gear)

P9E13A= Muncie, 1969, May, 13th day, M20 (2.52:1 1st gear)

It would not be unusual to have a mid-year '69 Muncie assembled into a 1970 Monte the second week of March (03B date code on your body tag).  What is very strange, however, is the dual date stamping on the trans case.  It looks like a Muncie originally assembled in June, 1968 was either reworked and/or re-stamped in May, 1969.  Note that the partial/concealed VIN (19B402390) is stamped above the two date codes and indicates that transmission was assembled in '69 at Baltimore into a vehicle (not necessarily a Monte) with a partial VIN of 402390 (last two digits questionable - hard to read).  Yet the body tag of that Monte says it was assembled in March, 1970 in Flint.

Unless the partial VINs on the body and trans agree, that transmission was probably a replacement for the original M20 at some point in the Monte's life. It may be a "period correct" M20, but I doubt it is numbers matching.  As Steve noted, the VIN tag will tell you and us a lot.

Hey, the engine is numbers correct for your car the trans is not. Just from the look of the cowl pic you have the car was most likely driven hard. The original trans was either blown up long ago or removed for another car. Either way it is not the original trans. With that being said, an original engine, factory 4speed Monte is a fairly uncommon find. I would build it and enjoy it! Good luck. 

4 hours ago, Monteman1971 said:

We need to see the vin number in the windshield area to determine that. 

Your other post in the General area has some activity on it you might want to go check but the Vin is what's needed to verify what you are looking for.

Your first pic is the "trim tag" it only shows paint codes and what trim is on the car. 

Steve

added vin

The photo of the VIN you added proves the M20 is not the original because the partial VINs do not match.  Have you checked to see if the partial VIN (last six digits) stamped on the engine block is correct (i.e. 123859)?  It is highly probable that it is correct simply because the CNI prefix matches the engine's basic characteristics (i.e. 350/250/manual) which are fairly rare.

The trans is not the numbers matching trans. The Vin on the trans is built for a Baltimore car and the date code don't work out for the build date on the car. Still a nice rare car with a great color combination. Good luck

• 4 years later...

Hello Ken,

Responding to an old post…Im looking for an engine out of a 1970 with suffix CNI.

looks like you have/had one. I’m interested in purchasing if you are not using it for your project.

thanks

If it is an old post you should respond directly to that post because you could be responding to someone who is not on here often and by responding to the post he may get an email notification. 

rob

If it is an old post you should respond directly to that post because you could be responding to someone who is not on here often and by responding to the post he may get an email notification. 

rob

Oops, disregard the above, I see now that is exactly what you had done.

rob

• Thank You! 1

22 hours ago, Acowen said:

Hello Ken,

Responding to an old post…Im looking for an engine out of a 1970 with suffix CNI.

looks like you have/had one. I’m interested in purchasing if you are not using it for your project.

thanks

The last time that individual visited here was May 31, 2019. 

You may try 'messaging' him directly, as that may give him an email alert too.

• Thank You! 1