exhaust system

Guest supercoupe5

I have heard good things about them, but I personally wouldn't go with an x or H pipe because then I'd have to remove my exhaust to take the tranny out or do anything on the trans from underneath the car.

Maybe someone will finally listen to me when I say the only custom built x-pipe system that is worth the investment is made by Torque Tech. I have a 3.5" system stepped down to 3" at the muffler. The tone is exellent, interior resonance is low, and it maximizes power instead of robbing power. It's your money and you are free to listen to who ever you want to, but I know first hand that this system is in my opinion the best money can buy. They will build it for you based on what setup you have.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Evil Austin

I had a c-10 truck that I had the H pipe farther back, in the middle of the driveshaft area, so the transmission could be removed and the driveshaft could be wheedled around it. . . maybe something similar can be put into the monte ?

I am putting my H underneath my transmission crossmember, I have a mig, so I can cut it out and re-weld it if it really bugs me, or I can not be lazy and make some bolt in flanges for it. . . that would probally be smartest. . . sometimes I am too lazy for my own good !

-EA

when i did the trans swap in my monte i was able to leave the h-pipe in place to get the 400 out and to put the 700r4 in and thats even workin with the heads still bolted up to the motor. also the two h-pipe systems ive put in the h-pipe sits behind the trans i do have a pic of the elkie with the body off and the exhaust ran if u would like to see it.

scott.. AMEN! lol Tony... I don't know.. I'm still counting smile

if you happen to have a big block, yeah you can get your trans between your headers... I couldn't do it on my small block car.

i suppose.. if you put a pair of header collectors in the cross pipe so it could be seperated......

I have a 3 inch x Pipe I made myself. I used band clamps at the rear so if I need to take the tranny out I unbolt from the collectors and loosen the band clamps before the mufflers and pull the whole assembly out. I have a big block and hooker comp headers and to get the th400 out on a tranny jack I have to take the passenger side header out to to clear the bellhousing.

I like my x pipe and it is worth the effort.

You can remove your tranny with an x-pipe system. Just disconnect your collectors and your tranny will drop right out. I'll try this one last time and then never mention exhaust systems again. Torque Tech x-pipe systems are the bomb. Just call them.

Guest Rice Racing1

You guy's should listen to Greg, stop wasting money on the slowmaster,flowtech,dyno max and home made pipe kits with generic x- pipes or cobbled together parts. You or your local muffler guru will never out smart Torque Tech. Their stuff works the best of all the kit type exhaust stuff going.

Yes I said slowmaster! Flowmaster 40 series muff's are junk! If you run the race series flowmasters then you get a good flowing muffler. The street stuff will cost you 3/4 tenths at the track! Even if its way oversized!

Why would you want to run those 40 series anyway so your car will sound like a late 80's stock 5.0 Mustang? If you like it loud then use the Race Magnum Bullet by Dynomax(not the pipe kit though) If those are to loud the get a pair of Spin Tech mufflers.

These mounted in a torque tech pipe system will perform like open headers if properly sized.

Don

Guest 72yellowmc

I agree with Don on this one, my brothers been having trouble with his freshly re-built 402 performing like it should, my brother and I were talking about his problems the other day, and I mentioned to him that maybe it was his flowmasters slowing you down (he used to run the dynomax straight through bullet mufflers) I've been trying to talk him into unbolting the exhaust for a couple of passes to no avail, he is about half a second slower then he should be now.

I'll try this one last time and then never mention exhaust systems again. Torque Tech x-pipe systems are the bomb. Just call them.

Somehow I find that hard to believe... lol I'm all for them, keep spreading the word... wink

Originally Posted By: Rice Racing1
If you run the race series flowmasters then you get a good flowing muffler.

Good to know, cuz I purchased a Torque Tech system with the race series flowmasters back in 2002, unfortunately they didn't have an X-pipe option back then, just an H-pipe system.

I agree Torque Tech is a great system...thumbs_up.gif

Bill

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here, but what make Torque Tech so much better than everyone else? I can see muffler design making a huge difference, but what makes one manufacturer's mandrel bent pipes better than another's? Just curious...

Mike

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here, but what make Torque Tech so much better than everyone else? I can see muffler design making a huge difference, but what makes one manufacturer's mandrel bent pipes better than another's? Just curious...

Mike

I'm sure there are other great systems out there, I "myself" am giving them credit for their absolutely perfect fit... wink

I have a 3 1/2" full system to the rear bumper...it fits perfectly...I've heard so many horror stories from other companies on other car sites but have never seen a complaint about Torque Tech's systems.

Bill

img01422df1.jpg

the question remains unanswered. what makes Torque Tech pipes so much better? ok they fit well.. that's a great start, but what makes their x-pipe system so much better then say FlowMaster or DynoMAx or whoever?

Guest Evil Austin

I would like to throw in, that just as in everything else with cars, it involves a little bit of voodoo and a lot of personal opinion. . .

A flowmaster mandrel bent exhaust with a H-pipe might sound beautiful to your ears, and feel "seat dyno-wise" perfect for you. . .

Another might hear that and say "wow sounds like dog S***"

I say if you hear something and you like it, and you aren't looking to turn 10's, go out trial and error with your mufflers (i have had 14 different mufflers between 3 cars/trucks.) and have fun !

-EA