crossmember not bolted down? and no mounts?

Guest silent72

Guest silent72

as some of u know, i just recently bought the car. i didnt notice until today that the tranny crossmember is not even bolted down. its being held in place by c clamps on each side. and also there are no trans mounts even there. and i've drove this car for about 50 miles like that. i cant believe how dumb the owner that had the car before me is.

as some of u know, i just recently bought the car. i didnt notice until today that the tranny crossmember is not even bolted down. its being held in place by c clamps on each side. and also there are no trans mounts even there. and i've drove this car for about 50 miles like that.

Sounds scary.

Are the rubber frame pads for the crossmember at least still on the ends?

So the transmission was just resting on the the crossmember, metal on metal? shocked

As said above, both are an easy fix luckily.

Bill

Call Leo Konik at 810.334.4162. He is the expert and has the best supply of every kind of MC part you can imagine.

I looked up those parts in my Classic Muscle catalog but no luck. If you are going to be buying many more parts I would suggest getting their catalog 800.722.4828. They have some of the best prices, quality of parts, and service/delivery. Most detailed catalog I've ever seen.

Carl

Bill- I like the latest change to you pic sig file. You gonna start changing it every 3 days??

I could be wrong, but didn't the big-block cars come without the rubber between the frame/crossmember? (suggesting that you don't need 'em).

I'm guessing that the rubber was there to control noise, not to provide flexibility.

As far as bolts go, there is probably a CORRECT set somewhere, but hardware store bolts will work too.

the rubber pads were used to give the car a luxury feel , and isolate the shift from the feel of the car , the manual shift monte carlos did not have this pad and the chevelle was not sold as a luxury car , i have chevelle crossmembers monte crossmembers pads and brackets and bolts

Leo

I wasn't gonna suggest not using them but I myself have removed them, but I'm into performance not luxury, so it is an option to not use them... wink

Bill- I like the latest change to you pic sig file. You gonna start changing it every 3 days??

I will keep altering as I got alot of pictures, although no set time frame as how long each picture will last... grin

Bill

Guest silent72

are the rubber pads substitutes for actual transmission mounts or what? im kinda confused. do i just let the crossmember stay metal to metal bolted down? or do i purchase transmission mounts? not the small rubber pads.

No, the rubber pads are in addition to the rubber trans mount. The rubber pads sandwich the ends of the cross member so it's even softer than with just the rubber transmission mount. If you do not have a chevelle cross member, you will need to weld some additional material on to the ends of your Monte crossmember to have enough material to bolt it down to the frame I think.

To keep things easy, just order a transmission mount, AND the rubber pads with brackets. It'll make sense when you see them!

are the rubber pads substitutes for actual transmission mounts or what? im kinda confused. do i just let the crossmember stay metal to metal bolted down? or do i purchase transmission mounts? not the small rubber pads.

A picture is worth a thousand words... grin

Here is the transmission mount (see first picture) there is only one that bolts in the ceter of the crossmember. You could order it in rubber like the factory, poly for performance (which I have), or solid mount for extreme performance (see second picture).

I could not find a picture of the two rubber pads (one on each side) that sits between between the frame and the cross member ends.

Not using the rubber pads on each end of the crossmember give your tranny tail the ever so slight nose down...probably never being a factor but I would use 1/4" square washers or equal, of course this suggestion is only if you don't purchase the rubber pads... wink

Bill

First picture

ens-3-1108g.jpg

Second picture

mor-62600.jpg

Guest silent72

i really thank u guys for ur help. i'll purchase the trans mounts and forget about the rubber pads. i dont think its really necessary. i'll probably end up getting the polyurethane mounts.

as far as I can tell.. there are no re-pop sources for those isolator pads.

I put an impala crossmember in my monte, and other then the exhaust arches being in the wrong place, it bolts right into the frame and I've been just fine with it.. my car never had the rubber pads to begin with so i can't miss what i never had wink